Bad case of ich...

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by saltyfish922, Oct 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I assume when you say starve the tank that you are referring to having no fish in the tank for the ich to feed off of.

Is there some reason that you shouldn't feed whats left behind in the tank as far as corals go. Can parasites survive on fish food?

Just wondering.

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

If you read the last link I posted, marine ich needs a fish host and so no it can't use other food to survive.  A tank devoid of fish for 6 weeks will usually eradicate the parasite.  Call me if you need anything Beth and the other call was my treat.

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks,
    Cindy

5. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

Cindy,
    Just went over to snap a pic and at this time there is not much visible. Later today or this evening it will show up better, unfortunately!
    I may try a fresh water dip later if somethingfishy (Nate) is up to helping me catch the fish. [smiley=wink3.gif]
    Going to try the hypo salinity without meds at first along with the f/w dip. So, for now the main tank is my QT. [smiley=worried.gif]
    I will let you know of any changes and will get that pic for ya later. Good luck with your tang, and I will pray for you too!!!

Craig.... [smiley=lol.gif]

6. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Is that how the spots usually do? THey start out light in the morning and as the day goes on, especailly after the lights come on, the spots become more obvious? That's the way mine has done.

Here's a couple of pics of mine. Since not all of the fish have it I keep hoping that maybe it is something else.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/periotherapist2001/album?.dir=5b20&.src=ph

I played with one pic until you could see the spots in the black part of her body. They've never gotten any larger .

Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you. Keep us informed.

Cindy

7. saltyfish922

Doesn't that just make you wanna net the fish and pick those little white devils off yourself? Beautiful fish by the way.

When the tank light first go on the disease is very noticeable. They seems to kinda "go away" for a while then only to return at night. I think the morning thing has something to do with the fish not being so active before the light goes on making them more vulnerable. (don't quote me on it though. just a speculation)

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm think I may be in and out for a little while because of cpu problems.  I have been down for a couple days now and I am lucking enough to be up right now (different cpu).

Anyways, I see that I'm off the roost for a couple days and Beth has already replaced me.  ;)

Cindy do you have any recent pics of your hippo? Have you notice that the spots are in different places then they were originally? I am wondering too if it is Ich just because it dosn't look like the situation has change much. How long has it been since you first notice the spots?

10. somethingfishy

Oh wait you still need me for the fish netting. Sweet you have Craig for his mind and me for the skillz. ;D

Maybe tomarrow I will be able to come over after work and we will do the dip.

11. saltyfish922

You got the skills N-Dizzle. [smiley=cool2.gif]

Hey, I appreciate an experienced fish netter grabber dude!
    See there, if Erika does not have your time mapped out for you, I do! [smiley=lol.gif]

12. somethingfishy

What can I say I'm just a Babe Magnet. It must be the beard.