Backflow issue

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CaveKitty, Apr 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CaveKitty

CaveKitty Plankton

I am setting up a new 55g tank. My return line is a mag7 that goes up through the tank to a loc-line output.

An issue I noticed during testing is if the power for the mag7 goes out, it the locline creates a suction in the DT and starts to bring water back down the the sump.

The only way I can figure out to prevent this is to keep the output line pointed slightly up, so as the water line drops, there is a point that it catches air and then stops the backflow. However, with this solution and I limited to only 1 spot with the output line.

Is there any other way to correct this?

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Blackflow valve

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

This or you have to drill a couple small holes to create a siphon break up close to the surface. A picture would help but you could do it at the fitting before your locline on both sides. It has to be high enough so your sump won't overflow.

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Link didn't work but quoted his post

7. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

That's what I did, I raised the output device from the pump out of the sump high enough to the surface that in loss of power it won't overflow the sump. I tested also to make sure it wouldn't overflow the sump when back flow happens.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

As long as you keep the return close to the surface so it breaks suction after a small, very easily calculated amount of water flows back so it is exposed to atmosphere and you maintain sufficient freeboard in the sump you will never have a flood related to the return. No maintaince, no parts to replace and nothing to clean, just a simple air gap.