Atb protein skimmer 1860

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by vamp1978, Jul 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vamp1978

vamp1978 Plankton

I'm thinking about getting this skimmer has anybody used it yet and how does it work ? I have a 300 gallon display tank with a 50 gallon sump heavily stocked I would say I currently have reef octopus 5000xp

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've never used one, so here's a bump for your question. I do want to say that with being designed for tanks up to 1000g, your system might not produce enough DOCs to keep the ATB working properly. Would you mind telling us why you want to replace the RO?

4. vamp1978

vamp1978 Plankton

My tank seems to always be dirty green glass over flows with hair algae just seems like the ro skimmer not working right I hardly get any waste out of it plus I would be getting a really good deal on the atb 1860 just wanted people's opinion

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Is it possible that the RO just needs a good cleaning? Skimmers do collect gunk, algae, precipitated calcium, etc in the pump and plumbing over time, which dramatically reduces efficiency. I even saw one 3Reef member who opened his skimmer pump and found a sponge encrusting the impeller housing! The venturi intake can also clog with salt creep which affects performance. Just weighing options to help save $$$. :)

Billme likes this.