Aquascaping Ideas/Help

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Birchell, Jan 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Hey guys, Hope your new year was great!!

Well I finally got some rock in the 100 gallon, and just cant seam to agree were to put the rock. I like the 2 large island look, but Im my tank it looks wierd ( or well with no corals ). I was woundering if anyone here has any island tanks they would like to share? I have been searching the internet, but I cant get the info with the pics like I can here, lol. Im not wanting to copy anyone, I just want some ideas of were the rock looks best.

Michael

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Nice looking tank, Matt. I bet it looked silly without coral, but look at it now. I like the symetrical channel down the middle. Better look than two round islands. Birchell, my serious suggestion is look to the future. The color and shape the coral makes is more important than rock layout. So, decide on what coral you are aiming for in the future. Then, make your islands compliment your water flow and lighting needs. Also, make sure you have locations for your future fish . Even if it doesn't look perfect at first, you can make small changes in the future.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive got one in the works, trying to locate everything I need for it. I will probaly end up making my own rock or ordering some tufa rock from feller stone which is coral fossils, seed it with some choice liverock I already have. I can hook you up on the design of it give me the dimensions of your tank etc.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

here is a crude drawing of what I have in mind.
    [​IMG]

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Wow I really like the islands with the valley down the middle-Birchell make sure and send us some pics as you progress!

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The problem I see with this is with circulation. I see a lot of blocks here, especially toward the back. Just something to keep in mind.

11. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

+1 on that!

Personally I would make one long island in the center of the tank with plenty on holes and crevices for your fish to swim through (and hide).....and.....for your water to better circulate within the rockwork itself.

In my opinion, the diagram above (besides the circulation issue) would make the inside of the tank look somewhat smaller visually. Something like an optical illusion.

Just my own thoughts. :)

12. Fishyz

Fishyz Astrea Snail

i was looking at some fish tank pictures on the interenet and I came across this one. It kind of has the "island" look. You could just make the space between the 2 bigger.

[​IMG]