Aquarium Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Devon, Nov 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

I'm about to upgrade my tank and I'm looking for some tips on the process. If you know of any good links can you post them please.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just swapped my tank and this is what I did. I had a 100 gallon rubbermaid tube and moved all the rocks in there minus the ones that were in the sand bed. Then transered about 50% of the water into the tube and then the fish. Once everything was out safely I got the rocks that were burried that way we didnt kick up an nasty stuff from the sand. After everything was out we mixed the other 50% of water that didnt go in to the tank up and put the new salt water in. DO NOT REUSE THE SAND. When setting up the new tank put the new sand is and then do your rocks. Once your ready transfer all the water you need back in to the tank and then all the fish.

If your able to keep the current tank running just set up the new tank and get it cycled and everything then slowly add your livestock from the old system into the new. Just take things slow so that you dont stress out the new system. Hope that I answered some questions. What exactly are you planning on doing for the upgrade?

4. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

Thats the problem, The new tank has to go in the same place as the old one. I also have to use my sump and many other parts from my old tank. just trying to figure out a game plan to do the swap.

5. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

Can someone post some links that they have used with some good information pertaining to this subject please.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

just did this a few weeks ago. Heres what i did.

Took livestock out of old tank and put in brute trash can with powerheads and heater.
    Drained remaining water out of tank and moved the tank.
    Put new tank in place. add sump and equipment from old tank.
    Fill with ro/di and then add salt. Let mix for 24 hrs
    Add new sand.
    make sure SG/Temp is good.
    aclimate fish and livestock to new tank.
    Add everything into tank.
    Fill sump with water from old tank.
    Whala, good to go.

Took me a few days to do this, but its been a few weeks now and everything is fine.
    Good luck!

7. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would do exactly what I said then. Set up a holding tank and put your heater and power head in there. Fish will be fine for a few days nothing to worry about there. Set up the new tank and then start putting everything in just like when you set it up. Shouldnt have any crazy swings because the rock has bacteria on it already and all that good stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. bdwarrior52

bdwarrior52 Astrea Snail

Don't feed anything for 2 days prior to the move. The fish wont produce as much waste in the holding tank/trash can.

10. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

I got to move a tank too..why not to reuse sand?? Dont mean to hijack thread..

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

The old sand has a lot of nasty stuff deep in the sand bed. When you stir that up taking the sand out it kinda makes the sand usless. Better to buy new sand and add a cup of the top layer of the old sand just to seed it.

12. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

Is okay if the old sand is rinsed?