AquaC EV-240 or ETSS 600 XR / ETSS 800 XR

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by meshari, Apr 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meshari

meshari Astrea Snail

I would like to know your advice on which one to buy and what is the difference between these two product Downdraft™ Technology and Spray Injection?

I have a 244 gal and those are my options? which one to go for? price not a problem..... a third option would be Aqua Medic Turbofloter blue 3000 very good quality.

2. Click Here!

3. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Had this saved in my favorites. It might answer you second question on the differences.

Protein skimmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I have the Aqua C EV-240 but the bad part is I will not have it hooked up for at least 2 plus months. I went with this because the foot print and sturdy construction along with recommendations.

5. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Me I would not suggest either one of those skimmers. They are both good skimmers and will work well, but I don't like the power consumption of the pump needed to run them. I really like the needlewheel skimmers they can cost less and use less electricity.

With that said, Both of those skimmers are good and will work well. The both us about the same way to make bubbles. The spray induction, just sprays into the water to create bubbles, while the down draft sprays into bioballs to create bubbles, but both need a good high pressure pump to work well.

Kim

6. meshari

meshari Astrea Snail

So, is that mean I should go with Aqua Medic Turboflotor blue 3000?
    I don't have alot of choices since where I am they only have these three brands AquaC EV, ETSS, Aqua Medic.

7. meshari

meshari Astrea Snail

I am thinking about the EV-240, but then I need to add a pump with it this comes to let say 500$.... Aqua Medic Turboflotor Blue 3000 already comes with a pump only 300$.. money is not an issue... but the EV is rated 240 gal... as for the Turboflotor Blue 3000 is rated 400 gal (up to 1500 liter) and ETSS 800 XR is rated 400 gal (up to 1500 liter)? I know my tank is 244 gal (up to 1000 liter)... but I beleive a skimmer that can handel more is better then just getting one with no extra gal/liter. What do you think? I was thinking about the EV-400 however it won't fit my stand to bad.

8. Click Here!

9. meshari

meshari Astrea Snail

I guess you need to remove 10% as a min to the over all rating of the skimmer capacity so.. the ETSS 8ooXR rated at 400G would probably be 360/350 gal as an example....

10. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Of those I would go with the turboflotor to be honest

I always say go larger on the skimmer than you think you need.

Kim

11. meshari

meshari Astrea Snail

I don't have choices the shops that are near by don't have anything else..... three shops each one one brand.... there are no others.... and Online would be great but shipping international is not cheap... I could wait for summer vecation but I would like to instal my new tank this week :)

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Take what I say with a grain of salt since I am new to salt. I had a EV-120 on my 90. No complaints. Ran a Mag 7 instead of the 5. I decided I wanted something rated for a little bigger to give me some more room. Was going to get a EV-180.

It seems these days it comes down to Beckett skimmers and needle wheels. Beckett use the Beckett foam injection nozzle. MRC and Precision Marine. I had a Precision Marine Bullet pass through my hands and it is very nice. From my research, it seems they pull the most air and bubble size is good. Their draw back is they need a powerful pump so power consumption.

Needle wheels draw good amounts of air, and have great bubble size. They use smaller pumps and have less power consumption. Euro Reef has a large following and plenty of mods, but many others make needle wheels. Even Precision Marine, and I like them as a company.

With the large pump on the backett, you will have heat, if it isn't a problem in your tank, good. If it is, then you will need to go external. But that also gives the oportunity to go one large external to drive everything. Needle wheels are very populer. Plenty of European companies make them and you might get a break as opposed to shipping from the U.S. I have a Bubble King. Pricey, but I got it used local.

My point is that I know shipping sucks. It has put a big dent in my wallet lately. (long story) But your skimmer is the backbone of your system. You don't have to spend a ton of money for a good one, but you should buy the best you can. And I would recommend to get what is best instead of what is local.

Spray injection over down draft. Beckett definitely over spray injection. Beckett and Needle wheel are about the same, especialy with mesh wheel mods and the like, but it really comes down to power consuption and heat generated. My .02