Anxiously waiting for my Red Sea Reefer 450

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 2manycars, Mar 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2manycars

2manycars Astrea Snail

I am trying to figure out why lighting would work best for my incoming (eventually) Red Sea Reefer 450 tank. One of the issues is the 59 inch length. The tank is only 93 gallons, but it measures 59LX20WX22H. I don not want t spend a fortune on lighting but it seems that I may need to spend a lot more than I anticipated. Max Spec has an LED unit that costs about $900 for their largest fixture.

What other options are there in the same price range or less that would cover most of my tank and enable me to keep most types of coral?

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

4. 2manycars

2manycars Astrea Snail

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Doesn't the Red Sea come with lighting?

Honestly, while bulb costs may be a concern, the ATI unit will give you about as good results as anything in the industry.

I've toyed with all 3 lightings and in my opinion (cost aside) that halides>t5>led.

LEDs controllability are their down fall, IMO. Its not that they can't grow coral as well as the rest, it's that it's so freaking hard figuring out what settings and combinations to use.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. 2manycars

2manycars Astrea Snail

The incoming Red Sea reefer is sort of a hybrid. You supply your own equipment, but it comes preplumbed and set with all the hookups and filtration. I have a simple flu val LED on my current tank but the new tank is longer and I hope to get more into corals etc. I looked at the red sea Max s that does come with lighting bit it uses T5s as well and I wanted to use some of the features of the LEDs.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My Ebay/Amazon specials sure do the trick.
    3 of them for around $300 shipped- that's 300 for all 3.
    My avatar is a side shot of my 180 about 10 days ago- with these lights.

You want to spend more money- more power to ya