A Quick Guide To The Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by NUHTTY, Apr 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I just e-mailed Aqua C to see about getting a new collection cup for my remora Pro.( I got the optional drain hole on mine and wish I hadn't) I put a 3/8 in. plug <--I think! in the drain hole and it limits how far down I can go with the rubber O-ring! Aqua C said I could try to put the O-ring on under the plug or they would sell me an undrilled one for $14 very reasonable I thought this includes shipping! So I'mm getting a new one . Gotta love that service I'll stick with Aqua C!

F.Y.I. , I have a P.M. H.O.T. skimmer hooked up to the same tank and it can't compete it makes almost no skim mate. I leave it on though because what little it does collect is brown and the remora is green? Maybe two different types of waste?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well I have story of their customer service to top everyones. I emailed the place where I bought mine and they gave me the email of the owner of Remora Jason Kim. He sent me a new skimmer after a few weeks of email back and forth about it not producing as well as my other remora of the same model. We tryed changing the pumps around and swapping the skimmer from 1 tank to the other and finally came to the conclution that 1 skimmer is producing way more than the other. He then sent me a new in the box skimmer minus the maxijet 1200. So I now have 3 skimmers that produce so/so skimmate. I was really surprised when he sent the skimmer and did not ask for the other back. It is still on my tank and still produces less but darker skimmate than the other two skimmers. I have a new pump on its way to try on one to see if I can bump up the skimmate production. I have heard good things about the turbo floater and it is priced resonably so I may try that one sometime.

Jay

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Jason owns AquaC, Ramora is one of the products in his line. Nice guy.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Just another side note about cleaning your remora skimmers. My Remora had been skimming poorly lately, so at first I cleaned the spray injector which helped some what.
    I then added the larger pump at 370gph vs the maxijet at 296 and this helped a little too. I then soaked the skimmer in vinegar and water over night and now its skimming great. Filled 1/2 collection cup over night. Hope this helps some one!

6. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

Nuhtty, could you please tell me which FOAM you are using to reduce the microbubbles? I have some that are too dense that no water gets through and the foam keeps getting pushed into the water. And I have also tried ones that were too loose and the microbubbles still get through. Could you (OR ANYONE WHO HAS SUCCESSFULLY DONE WHAT NUHTTY HAS SUGGESTED) please tell me where or what brand of FOAM you are using? Thanks!!

7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Any pictures of this modification would be awesome as well!

8. Click Here!

9. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

aqua c is the most reliable thing on my tank, never had a problem and they always work great. the o ring however is not so reliable keep it lubed or it may tear after like a year. i am going to be doing a 150 gallon fowlr, what do you guys think of their larger skimmers? any info on the size i shoud run(in sump of course)?

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Zissou,
    You should start a new thread with your questions.

11. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

Bringing this back from the dead... because it's a great post, and I'm curious if anyone's made any custom suface-skimmer box for the standard Remora. I see that they sell one, but I'm not convinced it's the best option.

Other than an auto-top-off system, are there any other creative ways to protect the pump in the event of water level issues?