90 gallon tank build.. Little Help Please

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JCerillo70, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

The additional holes in his setup are for a closed loop setup. Its for additional flow, in place of using regular powerheads.

What most people do on the tank you are looking at, or at least what most people SHOULD be doing, is use both existing holes as drains. Then pipe the return from your sump over the edge of the tank if you do not feel comfortable drilling a 3rd hole in your tank. This is called the "herbie" method. It will be quiet and a lot safer than having just one drain pipe. Search the forum for herbie plumbing. I personally do not like the idea of trusting a single drain. I have too much stuff in my living room that i would rather not be sitting in water on the floor.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You can indeed run a second standpipe in your overflow if there's room for it (if Dursos are tight, you can run Stockman mods). To bring the water back to your tank, you can use directional u-tubes over the back at each corner:

[​IMG]

Our 60 gal uses these for its returns since the back isn't drilled.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Herbie or Beananimal drain configurations...with the Herbie, you may have two standpipes, but only one is truly active unless the active one plugs up...I'd rather have two active standpipes, personally. The "bean" style is just too much plumbing, and I don't like the way they look. However, peeps swear by them, and they're another way to skin the same cat (we all have our preferences).

I tend to keep things on the simple side, and with proper maintenance and thought during the design phase, there are no problems (I've never even had a snail in any of my standpipes).

Additionally, I think for your application, you're going to want more flow than less flow, so running a dual standpipe system will allow you to run a "hotter" pump.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. JCerillo70

JCerillo70 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok cool, so if i did go the 120g route, wider for more happy fish movement. I could do the ProFlex Sump Model 4 with the 2 intake and then run the pump with an overhang returning water back into the system?

I think im getting this lol

Also the consensus of return pumps being used is a Eheim 1262 or a mag drive 7. (700 gph sounds like way to much) Would this be applicable? Do i run 2 returns since ill have 2 intake from the overflow and no more holes for a return? (Via hanging return nozzles like youve shown)

I would be guessing, but it seems that i do not need a pump to get water from the display into the sump. It appears the return pump makes a siphon throughout the system

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. JCerillo70

After a long night of thinking im going to go with the 120 from tanks direct

120 Gallon Reef Ready Glass Aquarium

It comes with the plumbing already,just doesn't tell you what kind.

but if i were to do the herbie like were talking about i would have to put some more money into flexible pvc, and such. But i probably wont know what pieces to get until i look at it and come up with a game plan

6. insanespain

You are correct. You don't need to have dual returns, you can just run a single return, or you can split the output of the pump and run two returns. Its just personal preference. You can either buy something pre made like posted above or you can just make one out of pvc and elbows and paint it black if you want.

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Personally, I'd go with the Eheim over the Mag...the larger mags have the tendency to run a bit on the warm side, and will heat your water up a couple of degrees.

I'd run dual returns for sure...in fact, I'd run them thru a SCWD so the flow is a bit more random.

8. Click Here!

9. JCerillo70

So should i run 2 Eheim 2000 Compact Pump 528gph. Idk what scwd is lol but i would guess they should be independent pumps.

The proflex 4 refugium has 2 overflow hookups already so that should be good. IDK if the overflow in the tank im ordering is a standpipe or through the back.

10. insanespain

The flow from your return isn't supposed to be that much. 10x your sumps volume. It's not going to be that noticable in your display tank, especially in a 120 dt. What im saying is, i wouldn't worry about dual returns and random flow from the return. Thats what powerheads are for.

11. JCerillo70

I think the proflex is a 29 gallon sump. So i could use the Eheim 2000 Compact Pump 528gph , its only $80 and just dial it down. (Assuming it has adjustable flow)

12. insanespain

Basically u need around 300gph through the sump. So with head pressure, that 528 should be about right. You can put a valve on the output of the pump to dial it down if its too much flow. And u can put a tee in and split the output of the pump to run 2 returns back to the display, if you want, but it wont be necessary.