75 gallon stocking list

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mikekx65, Jun 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 75 gallon with the following fish:
    Blue tang
    Yellow tang
    Yellow watchman goby
    Orange line chromis
    Pair mocha clowns.

My question is my tank about fully stocked or can I add a couple more? I'm mostly intrested in a lawnmower blenny or a green mandarin or both. Your thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My honest answer is that if you re-home the Blue tang you could very well add two more fish.
    If you do not have enough algae to feed the Lawnmower or enough pods for the Mandarin than I would choose different fish types.

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well the blue tang wasn't really planned. I think you posted in the thread that I started when I rescued it. For the time being it's staying. It's still a baby and I'd rather it be healthy in my tank than with someone else who has no clue or care for this sort of fish. I I've gotten a lot of mixed views on me keeping the tang but for the time being I believe it's best she stays with me. I have alot of brown hair algea plentry for it to graze on.

5. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

This is understandable ,,but it will eventually need a new home ..
    I also agree with corailline .
    What about a flamehawk or a couple purple firefish ..Maybe a royal gramma too..
    A lot of cool smaller fish to choose from that would fit nicely in a 75.

Corailline likes this.
  6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

If you search the threads I have started you will see why I have the tang. I didn't choose it. It more or less choose me. I rescued it from somewhere covered in ich and about to die and I refuse to just give it away to any Joe shmo. So until I can find someone I can trust to take the fish from me it's staying with me.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Mike no one is giving you a bad time about the Blue Tang, and if it's still tiny like I posted before on your other thread I would rather it be with you than dying at the fish store or under the care of someone that does not knows as much as you.

However, you asked for thoughts so my thoughts are that you already have a yellow tang and pushing the min tank size on that one, perhaps you're better off going in the direction of corals and simple inverts rather than adding more fish. Add to that you chose two fish, the Mandarin and the Blenny that have a reputation for being difficult with regard to nutritional requirements. So my thinking is, consider easier fish like a Cherub Angel or the others mentioned by Feedyourmechine.

Or heck upgrade to a 200 gallon tank and call it a day. :p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well I went crazy with the corals the last few months and decided I wanted to focus more on the fish again. The only other fish I really like besides the mandarin is the black saddle file fish. Guess time will tell. It only took about 6 months of having a 55 galong before I upgraded to my 75. Who knows maybe another 6 months and I'll upgrade again lol.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The mimic filefish will eat any motile invertabrates it can fit in its mouth and may pick at corals.Not a good choice for a reef tank imo.I agree with Cheryl though and think you should wait until you remove the Tangs.

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  11. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well I traveled about an hr to go get some zoas I've been wanting for awhile now. Rasts, blue hornets, sunny ds, super sunflowers. And the guy threw in a green slimer frag. It's my first sps. :) seems like once people go sps they never turn back. I like it but I'm still in love with my zoas lol