40 Gallon ideas? It's a blank tank waiting to happen ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Arosereed, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Ok so took a break to focus on my other tanks and of course the babies ;) I'm thinking the butterflies are opp the other tank mates bc they prefer slow moving water. I'm def doing 4-6 glass cats. I'm thinking gudgeons may be too small? If I were to do any other land or fish they would be lunch. The mini cycle is going well so far. I'll transport the water with the substrate I have in there out once I start construction. One more thing do you think the glass cats and pipefish might work? I will dominate this tank!

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It might work if you feed the Glass Catfish first and, when they're done, feed the Pipefish. Did I also hear you're starting a saltwater tank? ;D That sounds like a lot of work with this build and the 2 Cichlid tanks. I hope you're up for it ;)

4. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Considering,lol. I thought I'd give everyone a chance to talk me out of it;) I think now that I got my cichlid tanks settled, they require so little and that has a lot to do with it. Instead of baby fever it's fishy fever lol. As for this tank this is def gonna be a long project. My sister in law got a saltwater 28 gallon nano cube and jealousy doesnt even begin to explain how bad I want one ;) I fell in love with an electric clam and a reticulate ?puffer( he's full size with buck teeth and comes to the top so I can pet him;) itsfrickin cute! ) at the saltwater ware house.
    As for my palidarium, it's a work in progress;) I'm worried the pipefish might get too big for the size area I'm working with so I think your right gudgeons and glass cats ;) I think the contrast of see thru and the colors of the gudgs will be beautiful ;)

5. Camkha1234

Nano cubes are definitely really cool. I must warn you though, once you get in the saltwater hobby, it's hard to get out ;) I would agree with the Gudgeons and Glass Catfish. I think the contrast would be really cool. I personally wouldn't try the pipefish either, unless it was a species-only tank. I wouldn't want them to get stressed out with the rest of the fish being there. If you want to get a Clam in the saltwater tank, you need really good lighting and flow, which means lots o' $$$. That's why I don't have a Clam ;D If you get all that, that means that you could grow basically any coral you want as well as the clam. You would also want to dose Calcium, because Clams need it to survive. I've heard that the smaller the Clam, the harder they are to take care of, so I would get a larger Clam.

6. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Yea I realized I can't afford sw yet ;( someday tho.
    I went to lowes today to try to find my land material and can't find anything resembling what I'm looking for. I was hoping for PVC plastic with the holes being about an inch. The cross hatch pattern is key to allow the plants to grow through it. Also all of the silicone sealants they had, had anti mildew stuff in it. Am I looking for the wrong products?

7. Camkha1234

What are you using the PVC for, exactly? Are you using them for pylons and then putting the substrate in? Just curious. And GE 1 for windows is aquarium safe. Just make sure that it doesn't say it has mold inhibitors. I don't think it does.

8. Click Here!

9. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

I don't think its PVC . It's a thin **** of plastic material that looks like a flexible mini lattice? The Holey texture would allow the substrate to show on both sides and allow plants to grow out of the holes? I'll look again for the sealant just didn't want to risk it ;)

10. Camkha1234

Oh, okay. Got it ;)

11. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

The forum totally bleeped out the word sheet hahaha

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It bleeped it because it was a 4 letter word figuratively and literally.