$31.99 160 gal bucket IO reef crystal

Discussion in 'Salt' started by vegasfish, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

yep, still works on any DFS order. Thanks :)

2. Click Here!

3. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

They must have changed the price, its now $51.95

4. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

get the box, its only $46.99 and you get 200 gallons worth, and its better for the environment! Unless your one of the people who like having 400 salt buckets in the garage :) I ordered 2 of the boxes and got them last week, all packaging held up to shipping.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I personally would never pay more than 35 dollars for 160g worth of IO or RC salt. For afew dollars more you can get Red Sea Salt in the 200g bucket and not have the issues you will inherit with either RC or IO. Plus the ca and mg and many other things are higher in the Red Sea salt.

6. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

ah, the great salt debate lol

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

There really is not much to debate about it. The only real thing you can debate is the price, after that the IO and RC has no pluses.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

ehhh i really havent gotten into the salt thing, to me its all the same, io and rc have done nothing wrong for me and all my parms are normal so if its not broken, then why fix it?

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you switched you would see a huge difference. Unfortunately all salt is not created equal.

I have a Geo calcium reactor with a ph controller and I still saw a difference in coral growth from the RC.

Do you guys mix up big batches of fresh SW for future use- like 55g and up? If you do, you would see that the IO and RC smells like cat pee, and leaves a brown residue on the containers. It is not bacteria or other living stuff because the red sea salt does not have this issue and the container is the same and it sits for just as long before use.

Apparently RC and IO have issues with clay getting into their mix, either on purpose, or accident, but this is a big issue. Then there is the reduced levels of the good stuff like magnesium compared to even the red sea salt, the red sea pro has even more tha the red sea brand.

Several members in my club spoke with IO reps at the last coral conference in Rhinelander at Foster and Smith, and they kind of walked around the issue. One guy that was with IO did mention an issue, but would not elaborate.

I do know that credits from DFS were issued to those of us with issues for store credit for each bucket of salt we had, full or partial. IMHO DFS did a great job, above and beyond what we expected them to, especially since it was not their product.

None of us have used IO or RC since, and have all gone to Red sea, or red sea pro with no issues and better coral growth. And none of us have gone back to IO or RC.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i have noticed this problem, maybe i will try to fix something thats not broken, what salt do you suggest hork?

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

red sea salt. About 45-50 dollars a 200g bucket. So it is not really that much more $$, but it cured the cat pee and brown gun issue.

You could go with the red sea coral Pro, but that is a 175g or 160g bucket for about the same as the 200g bucket of the Red Sea salt.

The only negative about the red sea salt is the bucket itself is inferior to the ones from IO, RC, and the red sea pro.