245, 300, or 320? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by darthweezy, Jan 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Great Lakes Aquariums built my 110g starphire rimless and stand. Very happy with everything.

Only item I did not like was they did not use stainless/rust resistant door hinges. Tank is about a year old and those are already rusting from tiniest amounts of moisture in the cabinet/sump.

2. Click Here!

3. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I will go big and go with the 320!

My wife and I discussed it and we have no intention of moving so this is the place to build our dream tank.

I will go with the 36" stand since it will allow for better viewing.

When I set the tank up, I plan on using all of the equipment I currently have on my 57 gallon and then building upon that. I had a friend of mine recently get out of the hobby and gave me about 500 pounds of dry rock, 4 250w MH fixtures, and a ton of spare bulbs. Combined with my Apex, ATO, 2 Kessil 360s, 2 MP10s, and 2 Bubble Magus doses, I am off to a good start collecting equipment.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone, I will start a build thread when I get the project going in the Spring!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Be careful how tall the tank- it can be hard to reach the bottom

This sounds like a fun build!

5. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Hey 3 Reefers-
    I know it's been over a year, but life got in the way in 2014... just got the phone call from Steve at Great Lakes Aquariums and my new 320 gallon stand is in! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and put the deposit down for him to build the aquarium! I didn't do them at the same time as I am going to need to do some work in my basement for my fish room and stand placement. I may have to move this over to a build thread when I start gaining momentum!

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

NICE! Thought this was a new thread til I read your last reply. What everyone stated and glad you went with the 320. I have the Marineland 300DD and it was a $%^&@# to move in because of the width, but the movers turned it on its side and went right in through the doorway. I did mess up building the stand to 34"H, now I will have to take it apart to get it out of my house if I ever move. How tall are you? I'm 6'1, and top of my tank is at 61" which was measured so I can still get my arm in the tank and reach the bottom without a stepladder. It is still difficult getting into some spots of my tank. Good luck, Godspeed, and POST PICS!!