240 Gal. Aquarium "BLEW"

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Gunrunner, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

It seems, yes, in theory. However, don't forget that strength is needed for much more than the water weight.

There's the weight of objects in the tank. For example, more dense rocks, with their sharp pointy corners with their added weight resting on a concentrated point on center of the bottom glass. Add to that the occassional bumb or drop (within reason) of that rock inside the tank. Add other stuff like a stand that's 'reasonably' out of level. Add to that external long-term stresses like pump vibrations. Add more glass just for safety: such as a kid (or an employee) 'reasonably' bumping the tank with a toy.

So I'm thinkin that the thickness of the glass is far far far greater than needed to support just the water -- either fresh or salt.

2. Click Here!

3. Gunrunner

Gunrunner Plankton

Fresh water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon
    Domestic raw wastewater weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon
    Salt water weighs 8.55 lbs per gallon

Very little damage (other than the tank & fish). We had water through almost our entire administration building

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I was just thinking of the outward pressure of the water alone... in my mind (again, just reasoning, I don't actually know), the rocks are irrelevant - they're just displacing the water and lowering the overall volume... so I wouldn't think rocks would increase pressure on the side walls but actually lower it by lowering volume and overall water pressure... :confused:

(not factoring in their weight on the bottom glass - should I? would this impact the side panels stress tolerance?)

assuming they're not leaning on the glass and not factoring in any 'other' stresses (like a falling rock or being bumped)...

I agree more is safer in this case...

The weight difference is minimal... but maybe enough of a difference over several gallons to make the difference of 1/16" more meaningful?

I'm just talking... this isn't something I've really ever thought about before.

5. Gunrunner

Gunrunner Plankton

I think one of the factors is that in SMALL aquariums 31" is DEEP! Water pressure is .434 psi per foot of depth, but then you have to calculate area.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yep, as you get a taller tank, the forces are much greater, just like scuba diving, which is why our ears need to equalize when we dive.

I know only a few inches taller of a tank requires a thicker plate of glass.

7. secuono

secuono Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I only buy terrarium tanks or knock-down tanks. So I know those are good, but never tried aquariums. What are some other manufactures of glass tanks, preferably for a low price but high gallons.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Remember to measure on the non metric side.

10. reefnut12

reefnut12 Plankton

9/16 glass ? Is not a common item. Standard thicknesses are 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1' Ive never heard of 9/16 glass. I find it hard to believe...