220 Gal Perfecto, 210 gal All Glass or 180 Gal All Glass

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by marlinman, Mar 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I just read a thread on another web site about a guy who had his 220 gal perfecto explode on him! The talk from other hobbyists started to center on the height of a tank with only 1/2" glass. I wonder if anyone had any bad experiences with any of the following tanks: 220 Perfecto, 210 All Glass or 180 All Glass. There could be some truth to the worry regarding 1/2" glass on large tall tanks. Should the new tank be reinforced with more sealer in the joints? Is is risky to have a 210 or 220 that has a height of 29" and 30"? Am I safer with a 25" high 180? I really like the 210 but can live with a 180 if it's the smarter choice.

2. Click Here!

3. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I don't know how long the guy had the perfecto tank, but I helped to install a Perfecto tank in a guys house, i think it was a 180? i think. But the glass was well over 1/2", and as long as the tank is level and on a perfecto stand, perfecto will cover it under warranty this includes any damage occured by the tank breaking, like flooring, walls, you name it.

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have the 220 perfecto tank and this thread has me worried no that my tank is going to expload lol. Did this guy you heard of have a large rock or something fall over or anything? I would think either it was twisted or something hit it to make it break.

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Perfecto paid for all the expenses he incurred. He said that there was a sheet of glass one foot by six feet that was on the floor next to the tank. Here is the thread I read. This is not for the squeemish.:cry:
    Monster Fish without home - 220 gal tank explodes! - MonsterFishKeepers.com

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Of course we don't know all the circumstances and he could have caused a stress crack. I always put a sheet of eggcrate on the bottom of my tank to protect against an avalanche. I'm really thinking about going with a 180 gal as it might be less stressful on the sides. I do trust All Glass more than Perfecto I had a 150 gal All Glass tank for years without a problem. I will inspect my tank better this time around. I had tile layed and I told the setter specifically to level the area real good. Making sure the tank is level is paramount. You can shimm up the stand where needed after you've put in 3" or 4" of water and make sure it's level all around. They sell shimms at Home Depot for $1 and they can really help you through this stage.

Attached Files:

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

wow for them to pay for it then they must have figured it was defective and not his fault. wow what a mess. really makes you think though.

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I had a marineland skimmer malfunction and when sent back they admitted to it. I thought the same thing when making a call to them but they looked at the product and owned up to it. They made it right on a behalf of the damages to the floor as well as replaced the equipment. I was supprised but im sure perfecto has an insurance policy to take care of this when it happens. It took me 3 months for mine but and they did test the product but hey things happen. I own a company and when a mistake happens you deal with it and move on.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I had a 210 perfecto blow a seam once but today I had our 180 Oceanic to blow a bottom seam it was a old tank about 19 yrs old so .I brought in 88 or 89 . Growing up in a plumbers house and being in that trade all my life like old Pop used to say boy if it hold water it will leak someday period they all break somewhere . I think I'll scale down to a smaller tank :)

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am in the same predicament basically. While I like the taller look of a 210 over the 180g, it really is not that much taller. The 180g is a great sized tank. If it were my choice, if I want bigger than 180g, I will go deeper, and or wider, but NOT taller. I am 6'4" and I can barely get to the bottom of my 24" tall 90g.

I have a line on a guys 180g setup that the guy will need to sell as soon as he has an offer on his house.

12. Molly2005

Molly2005 Plankton

I had a All Glass 125 gallon four years ago that developed a hair-line fracture on the front side of the tank. If my son did not notice the fracture, I'm sure 125 gallons of water would be in the front room.

I broke down the tank within hours and place all my live stock and fish within my empty 50 gallon acrylic tank. I always have a empty tank in the garage, just in case. I also have spare Rubber Maid garbage containers as a backup.

Needless to say, I bought a 90 gallon IPL acrylic tank for now, until I can afford my dream tank down the road.

For me, glass tanks make me very nervous.

No glass tanks for me,
    Randy