16 inch fixture ok for a 40br?

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Soggytoes, Feb 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Soggytoes

Soggytoes Flamingo Tongue

Is the 16 inch value fixture ok for a 40br? I plan to have mostly soft coral maybe a few lps. Also is the only difference between the value fixture and the photon 16 the addition of a controller?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

The value fixtures don't have heatsinks, I don't believe. With this being said, those fans keep things quite cool. I think it would be enough.

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

You could get away with it using 120 degree optics. The controllable fixtures have a nicer case and a better, adjustable hanging kit. They will all have heat sinks starting the second week of March.

5. Soggytoes

Soggytoes Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the fast replies! Would I benefit from upgrading to the photon 24? I looks like it uses the same number of leds as the 16. Are they just spread out more? When will both units be back in stock and available for order?

6. uf_gators

uf_gators Plankton

I am very interested in knowing which way to go on this.... I also have a 40 breeder. But I want to add more light to my existing setup. I was looking at this, and the value led as well , But I plan on making a canopy, and using my existing 4 bulb aquatic life T5 4 bulb and mounting 2 bulbs in the back and the led in the middle ,and 2 bulbs in the front. To be able to Keep some SPS ,and clams. (bulb wise , I run ATI blue+, and 1 Purple+).. Just need that punch for the middle area for the BirdsNest,and chalice ,clams and montipora....

Thanks
    Chris

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

One 16" unit would do well with sps in the middle, and softies/lps to the side. However, the 24 does much better, and for only $10 extra over the Photon16.

8. Click Here!

9. uf_gators

uf_gators Plankton

Sweet. Thanks! This I Chris Lewis that sent you a email about 30 min ago . Lol