125 reef breeders suggestion

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by katiejo, Feb 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. katiejo

katiejo Astrea Snail

Are they hard to remove

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Nope...super simple. Just remove a few screws.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

the optics pop right off

5. curt2199

curt2199 Plankton

Hey Katie, I used the exact same setup on my 180 which is the same length as your tank but a little wider and taller I believe. I'm doing all LPS as well and ordered 2 of the Photon 24s over the weekend. I was having the same debate between those and the standard value fixtures but in the end decided that the difference in power wouldn't be huge. I have friends running these fixtures and they can't get them over 50-60% anyway without bleaching corals out so I doubt they'd be an issue if we wanted to do some SPS down the road anyway. I'm starting to build the canopy for mine tonight but it will be at least a day or two before it's done as I will be waterproofing the inside and staining the outside to match the stand.

6. katiejo

katiejo Astrea Snail

That's great to hear I am still in the process of getting the stand built so its still going to be a while but I am planning on ordering two of the 24s as well and I would love to see your canopy when your done thanks

7. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Fire Worm

I have a 210 gal and I'm shopping for lights now. You only ran two photon24's on your 6ft tank???

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

2 x 24 inch fixtures would cover the water quite well....

10. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Fire Worm

Really? I asked Reefbreeders and other forums and everyone said I need 3 16's or 3 24's...

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

unless they know something I don't. My fixture, which is 32", covers 48 inches of tank just fine. that's 8 inches on each side. Yours would have to cover 6 inches on each side of the fixture. Now, if you have the dough, go with 3 of them and you would be perfectly set. You could also go with 2 of the 32". I honestly don't notice any shadowing from my center brace.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I feel the RB fisture exceeds my 120W TaoTronics 55total LEDs, the Blue white. 30W- 25blue run at 2W's each. NO dimmers, etc.

I have 2 over my 125- which only has one center brace, and I keep and grow SPS very well also.

Just saying

Edit: Just checked their website, their lowest model, is ths size I have on my 125. Whatever the size is, the housing looks to be the size of my TaoTronics. There base model has a way better color combination than my Taotronics however.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013