120g startup!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by SDmike, Jan 9, 2017.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SDmike

SDmike Plankton

Hey 3reef!

Here is 120g reef with 30g sump setup. The tank was setup 2 weeks ago and is currently cycling.

Tank, Rock and Sand:
    -120g DT. I installed a black piece of 1/4" acrylic on the back of the inside of the tank for aesthetics.
    -100lbs fiji pink live sand
    -Approx 110lbs of dry rock
    -Approx 10lbs of live rock from my other established reef tank.

IMG_4238.JPG

My Parameters so far: Test Kit: API
    Ammonia-.25ppm (from 2ppm)
    Nitrite- 2-3ppm
    Nitrate- 20ppm

For Mag, I use a red sea test kit. I used to use red sea for all testing. I ended up testing less because I couldn't stand how annoying the red sea test kits were. Even if in reality, the API test kits are less accurate, I test more. If I find a problem, i ALWAYS double check with either the LFS or another kit.

Note: I did use 3 32oz bottles of Fritzzyme 9. I added the bottle on day one, let the tank settle for a couple days, and then started dosing pure ammonia to the system. I was able to maintain 2ppm (only needed to dose a couple times) for the week. I stopped dosing when i started seeing nitrites. I also added a pinch of flake food to add some phosphates (per the support staff Fritzzyme).

Water Flow:
    -Two PP20 wave makers that are linked together
    -One is set to 30%, the other is at 20%. Both placed on opposite sides of the tank.
    -eFlux 1900GPH DC pump. It is currently set to operate at roughyl 60% of its capacity.
    IMG_4269.JPG

Filtration:

-Overflow box in the DT is running into a filter sock. I was concerned about the noise at first. So after about 10 attempts I made a drain/vent that similiar to a Durso drain. However, mine is virtually silent.
    -Simplicity 240DC skimmer (not currently being ran during the cycle)
    -Bio Pellet reactor
    -Carbon Reactor
    -BRS reactor (not currently being used)

IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    Lighting:
    -3 kessil A360W tuna blue lights controlled with a kessil controller.
    -Lights are currently not being ran during the cycle process.

IMG_4270.JPG

Heater:
    -400W aquatop heater with digital display

ATO and Water:
    -Tunze ATO 3155
    -10G Rubbermaid recycling bin used as reservoir
    -I use the RO Buddy filter with a DI addition. Its slow, but the water is consistently showing 0 on my TDS meter. Ive been using it for a couple years, and just as long as i maintain the filter, it seems to be fine.

Misc:
    -I am running a 10g hospital tank under the DT (been up and running for over a month). Obviously not connected to anything on the DT, I plan on using it for every fish purchase.
    -UPS Battery backup for the Main Pump and hospital tank pump only
    -Nest camera for the main tank,
    -Nest camera for the filter chamber
    -Nest camera for the hospital tank
    IMG_4266.JPG

Swisswiss likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome, very nice set up.

SDmike likes this.
  4. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Great idea getting an hospital tank set up. My DT center brace gave way and I had to do an emergency drain. Panic set in because I didn't have a hospital tank or anything else to use to house my wards until my DT gets repaired. I look forward to watching your DT grow.

Welcome to 3Reef!

DSC reef and SDmike like this.
  5. SDmike

SDmike Plankton

Center brace broke?! That sounds terrible! Hopefully that sorts itself out pretty quickly

Its been really helpful so far. I have a couple of clowns in there now going through a parasite treatment. The rest of the fish went back to the LFS.

scajeo likes this.
  6. 2015GaTor

2015GaTor Plankton

How do you like your simplicity skimmer? I thought about getting one but I went reef octopus instead. Build sounds sweet, what fish do you plan to home?