Is Sea Clone Skimmer Quality?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by muecyl, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

Is the brand Sea Clone any good for a skimmer? Anyone have any info on them??? Thanks::)

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Absolutely not. Don't waste your money. Get a good skimmer up front and it will save you in the long run by not having to buy better equipment later.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

+2
    I bought one for each of my aquariums when I started and replaced them both. Now running a ASM G3 and a Coral life needle wheel.

1 person likes this.
  5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Garbage!!! Invest in a good skimmer NOW to eliminate the need to spend more later to get a better skimmer. Skimping on skimmers and lighting, IMO, are the worst thing you can do!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I've only heard and read negative things about Sea Clone skimmers.

My two bits (for what it's worth).

I'm with Coral Reefer .......spend a bit more, you'll probably be glad you did down the road.

Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  7. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

i have to agree that the seaclone is not the best skimmer out there. however if you have a sump and can control the water level around the skimmer as well as the bubbles it puts out. the skimmer works well. i used one for a long time before upgrading. i then sold the skimmer to a friend and another friend of mine has a sea clone. they both work very well. even though the sea clone 150 says it will work up to 150 gallons. i wouldn't use it on anything bigger than a 55.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

I have a Sea Clone on my 75 gal. tank It's seem to be doing just fine. I have brown waste to empty every week. I have notice that I have to keep it very clean.
    I clean it every two week with a tooth brush, My wifes lol. just kidding. I heard that they have put a bigger pump on it, a 1200 is on mine.
    My son has a big expensive jump up and down skimmer on his tank. side by side in that same tank we seen about the same amount of waste in the waste cup. thats just what we found. I did notice the next day that my skimmer was gone, with alge on the glass.

Don't take my word tho, but thair is a post on this web site that saying about the same.

Also on "About.com " there is a plant thats about as good as a skimmer, and also remove PH and nirates, Called a Mangrove Plant
    "There are several species of mangroves that are used by aquarists as a means of filtration, particularly to reduce DOCs, nitrates and other toxins in a saltwater aquarium; White (Laguncularia racemosa), Oriental (Bruguiera gymnorrhiza), and Red (Rhizophora mangle L.)".

So if the money is tight I would go with a Sea Clone
    But thats me
    Tom

1 person likes this.
  10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I agree with everyone else they are junk. The Seaclone was my first skimmer and it has been in the closet now for a long time. Bad design.

For the money you can get one of the Coralife skimmer and it will produce like 3x as much skim.

1 person likes this.
  11. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

You can also check the tag SeaClone alot of info on that tag

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor