zooplacton

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Notturnia, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

lo guys.. would like to know if any of you is using a zooplacton reactor and how it is to manage it..

i saw many using pyto-placton reactor but no one using a zoo..

is easier or better to have copepods, artimia etc ???

i was thinking about to learn something about zooplacton but i'd love to hear from someone that is already using it.

tnx

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Zooplankton is typically a lot harder to manage. I have seen both Rotifer and copepod culturing and both seemed like a lot of work.
    Unfortunately I do not know enough about them to comment further
    Many people find copepods populations in there tanks sufficient without outside help

J

1 person likes this.
  4. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

hi J .. tnx.. but... i need more :D

i mean.. i would like to keep some kind of corals and fishes that need zooplacton like tubastraea.. and i saw that a 100g tank with a fugium cant produce enough copepods to feed all the fishes.. so wont try to.. i know pyto will help corals.. but if i want to succed keeping some fish i need at least artemia.. so was searching someone that is really using zooplacton..

but tnx for the 675897645837758947893 help you gave me :D
    karma m8

5. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I don't really see the need for copepods. If you started with some good LS, you should have plenty of them. They reproduce like bunnies. I've had my tank for about 6 months now and my copepod pop. is till thriving. As for the zooplankton, you can actually buy Kent's Zoo, etc. BTW, I have many fish and they feed on copepods all day long everyday, no problems here.

6. Jason McKenzie

Ya I know but I gave you a bump.

I have fish that eat copepods so supplementing the population is something I need to do. I just buy mine though

J

7. Jason McKenzie

I'm not sure of what the over all consensus is on Kent Zoo. I think it is more meant as a coral or filter feeder food. I have a 370G Tank and had 1 leopard wrasse in the tank. Over the year he was in the tank he decimated the population. He jumped last week so I'm looking to see how the population recovers. But I think in any closed system if you have Pod eaters you really need to supplement the system in order to sustain the population

J

8. Click Here!

9. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

clown (what is LS ??) i would like to have something that will feed my fishes also if i have to go away for 2 weeks w/o fear i'm killing the tank..

sometimes i need to be away and i dont trust all to come in my house and touch my tanks :D

so i prefer to autofeed them.. the pyto will be automatic.. should do soemthing for zoo.. or copep.. artemia.. something ..

10. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

yup Jason.. i had also a wrasser.. nice fish... if also he didnt eated all my shrimps -.- ... well.. now i start to see some coped.. probably come up from the fugium.. but some fishes will have a special diet and will require ONLY coped or live food..