Zooanthid Losing Polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by zoo 4 life, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Just curious if anybody else has had this happen to them. My radioactive green colony of zooanthids is losing polyps. When I went to feed the fish this morning, I noticed 1 or 2 polyps just laying on the sand loose, not attached to anything. These polyps were intact and not harmed in any way, in fact they were partially open. The only thing I have changed in my system in the last 48 hours was the addition of a JBJ ato system. My parms are as follows:

Temp: 78 +/- 1 degree
    Ph: 8.2
    Calc: 420
    Nitrate:0
    Nitrate:0
    Ammonia:0
    Phosphate:0
    Mg: never tested

The rest of the colony looks the same and I grabbed the 2 loose polyps and glued them to a frag plug and put them on my frag rack and they both promptly opened. This colony is about 10 months old that I have grown from a frag of about 5 polyps, I wonder if this is just a way to naturally propagate the colony of if something is yanking my polpys off. I do have a number of bristle worms that are under/around this colony as well as pods and 3 hermit crabs. Everything in my tank is doing amazing, I run 500 watts of XM 10K metal halide and T-5 actinic supplementation with LED moonlights. The metal halide bulbs are 3 months old and the actinics are about 9 months old. I use Spectapure RODI water and did a 20% water change the week before last. All my other coral looks fine, I keep 2 false perc. clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 fire shrimp, 1 blue tuxedo urchin and various clean up crews. I have mostly soft coral with some montipora and acropora as well as hammer coral and trumpet coral. I am not so much worried about this colony as I am curious. Thanks for reading, hopefully I provided enough information for you to speculate on.

Zoo Frag in September 2011

[​IMG]

Zoo colony today

[​IMG]

Full tank shot

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had it happen a couple times, it was usually a crab.

Can not see the images, would like to though.

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

when i had a TON of zoas in my tank they used to bud off a lot too....i think its just a normal thing they do in a healthy environment... :) No worries.... I sometimes miss having a bunch of zoas...but my high DKH melts most of them :( I do have SOME cool ones left but they dont reproduce like they used to

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Ya, that is what I am thinking as well. Pics should be fixed now, I had to do some editing. Thanks, zoo's are my favorite, I have darth maul, bam-bam, tubbs blue, radioactive green, whoppers, utter chaos and 2 colonies of super cool dragon's eyes that are growing like weeds, it's the XM 10K bulbs, they are the best!