Zooanthellae??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by colcol79, Jul 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Hi I have 3 corals, candy cane, gsp and moon favia.
    They have all closed down for weeks now and the favia and candy are showing a little of their skeleton.
    I had a bit of a "mistake" with my lights- I kept them in for over a year instead of changing them at 9 months.
    I have replaced them yesterday.
    I'm under the impression the corals might have lost their zooanthellae bacteita, can they get this back and will they be ok?

Advice on what to do welcome

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you replaced your bulbs all at once the are in light shock. You will need to cut your lighting period back to about 4 hours a day and add an hour a week until you get back to your normal light schedule.

What are all of your parameters they will have an impact also?

4. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Ok I've cut light time back to 4 hrs, in your opinion will the corals be ok?
    All my params are where they should be.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is always hard to say but I think most likely. It will probably take several weeks until they recover.

What type of lighting do you have?

6. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Two twin 55w t5's 10000k/actinic

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Next time replace the bulbs one at a time every 3 or 4 days. You won't need to change your light period that way. I would switch the actinic to ATI Blue plus or Geisemann actinic +. That will add a substantial amount of PAR to the tank. Pure actinic bulbs have about 1/3 the PAR of other bulbs.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You can tell if your coral has expelled it's zooxanthellae algae. It is a common term called bleaching. Did your corals just retract and retain color, or are they turning white. Did you see brown slimy stuff coming from the corals? Seeing the skeleton is a tiny bit different. Can you provide a picture? I agree, light shock. Which also means that your coral could have expelled it's zooxanthellae for some new stuff the new bulbs will provide. This, in turn, can turn messy when other parameters/tank stability are not dialed.

10. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

None have turned White they are all the same colour, they were like this before I changed the light bulbs. They are just closed down.
    All my parameters are as they should be.