Zoo question please advise!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Los1980, Jul 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have gorgeous zoos (i think they are gorgeous lol) recently my tank looked like it was crashing I did a 40% water change after half of my fish died. My corals look bothered and before you ask for the params they are all close to perfect. I'm almost positive that cyano was to blame. I have one more water change which i'll do at the end of the week of another 40%. Anyway my zoos have all extended super long and look as if they are reaching for the sky. they were always bunched together i'll show you guys a pic of before and after in a second. Please advise if this is normal

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

What are your parameters?

and no you zoos extending randomly isn't normal, neither is having half your fish die.

4. Los1980

before and after

the nice one is under moonlighting

Attached Files:

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Did you change anything in your tank? flow? lighting?

did you attempt to treat the cyano with chemicals?

Cyano doesn't kill coral to my knowledge unless it smothers them for a long time.

6. Los1980

nope just changed the water! I didn't treat the cyano with chemicals. I just changed my carbon/biopellets/ etc. and basically cleaned up and water change.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Is this the same water you always use?

You changed you biopellets? You don't change those this could create a parameter spike, that may be responsible for killing your fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like zoanthids typically reaching for light, secondary to decreased intensity. If this just happened and you have not changed the position of the zoanthids or decreased the lighting I have no clue. I would check and make sure your bulbs are fine.

Hope someone else chimes in with an alternative explanation, because I am curious why zoanthids would to this in response to anything other than lighting.

10. Los1980

sorry bro I meant seagel oranic and phosphate control (phosguard and matrixcarbon) I use saltwater from my LFS and the params stayed the same 1.026 salinity ....only my phosphates were at 15ppm and they have been that way since i started my tank! the zoos/plate/and frogspawn have all been different since the fish started to die

11. Los1980

Hey corailline, I have LED's and they are hanging I havent moved anything. do u think I should move the zoos closer or higher up? might that work?

12. Los1980

they were fine for months they were so tiny when i got them now they are bigger but extending.