zoo invasion

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ollie51, Nov 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

2 problems . #1 in one tank i have some brown w/ green center zoos that have had an invasion of plain beige zoos from another colony in the tank w/these can i just rip them off w/tweezers or something ? or is that not a good idea(are zoos toxic if torn open?) #2 if you look on my photo gallery at 2 of my maximas you can see that one is being invaded by some rogue zoos i have tried many times pasting them w/kalkwasser paste but they just keep coming back any suggestions on what to do w/this problem

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

wear glasses when working with them.if one pops while you have it out of the tank while your cutting it and it gets in your eye then your in trouble.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yes, zoas are very toxic. I wouldn't do it in the tank if possible. The best way, and it would be better to know exactly what your talking about with a picture, I couldn't find your photo album, would be to take the rock out and cut/scrape off the zoas you dont want.

5. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

W/e you do....be careful and wear eye protection. I got squirted in the eye once........not fun.

6. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

I would imagine it was more than "not fun":p. I think someone said zoo's have like one of the most toxic poisons found on the planet or something. I would make sure to clean up well.

7. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

thanks for the info so i guess doing it i the tank is out the only question is the ones that are on my maxima i guess i would just have to be quick dont know how long i could keep the clam out of water,and i quess a small screwdriver to scrape the ones on the clam off but the ones on the colony do you think just rip them out or what means do you guys think i should use thanks again for all your help

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you can take them out, just get some sort of knife or razor blade and scrape underneath. Your actually be slowly slicing them off. when I fragged mine, I did it that way. Don't worry about taking some rock with you, the closer the better. Then cut where you want to stop.

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

About the toxin, some, not all, zoanthids contain palytoxin, one of the most potent poisons in the ocean. However, it is in such small quantities it is unlikely to do any lasting damage to humans. This doesn't mean it won't hurt fish or inverts though.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You're being invaded by zoo's(a place where animals are kept)? or being invaded by zoa's? BIG difference, hahaha!

12. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

What happened to you when that took place?