Zoo fragging help please!!!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ranger2806, May 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i have a large rock with a bunch of zoos on it and its right next to my anemone and some of the are getting stung by my anemone. i would like to cut some of them out and place them in a diff. spot. i would have to do this in the tank if possible because the rock is on the bottom and i have about 100lbs of rock and coral on top of that one. can i do it. please help.:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. MishaelAQ

MishaelAQ Astrea Snail

Good heavens....I didn't think I could ever give advice. Please believe me that I am just a beginner so please take the more experienced guys advice first, but this is what I have done with my anemone and It works every time! If the zoos are in a place you like them and what you really need is to get the anemone to move you can try this. I place a rock just over my anemone and make it "uncomfortable". Not touching the anemone....just covering it to "over shade" it. If I want it to move it to the right I place the rock to restrict its left side or vise versa. When It doesn't like its place under the rock , usually within a few hours, it usually begins to move to the open in the direction I have forced it. It may take a while but It will move if it's uncomfortable. After it leaves the undesired area I usually will let it find a new place that it is comfortable with. If it tries to settle in another place that I don't care for....I "Force move" it again until I am satisfied. I have used this method many times while I was changing LR in my tanks and it has always worked with my anemone.....Good luck....Remember...I am just a beginner! This method works for my anemone...but remember what I said, I don't have a lot of experience! It may work for yours. Again ...Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. divott

divott Giant Squid

cool idea mishael

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Mishaels contribution is indeed very impressive - well done , it may be a good solution in this case or in other cases , so worth keeping in mind ( This is now stored in my memory)

Ranger - if you happy with your current nems location, and its been there a while and you are concerned that one forced move may result in several succesive forced moves as it either tries to come back or moves elsewhere you could do as you suggest

I assume the Zoanthids are attached to a large boulder type piece of live rock that has lots of other rocks stacked on it?

Zoas can be pulled off the rock, with care, they do come away as clumps (Hence often the LFS has colonies for sale that are not attached to rocks)

set them down sat on top of a small rock, in an area of very low flow or in a plastic tupperware container at the base of your reef ( the walls of the plastic reduce flow and stop the Zoas being pushed of the rock) the Zoanthids will attach to the rock in a week or 2 and then you are free to locate them where you like/ thats suits them

Steve

6. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

thats great. thanks so much all of you

1 person likes this.
  7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Make sure to wear gloves, or wash your hands thoroughly afterwards, zoas are toxic.

1 person likes this.