Zoo eating Nudibranchs

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by crustytheclown, Feb 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

so i just noticed one of my zoa colonies was not looking so hot and picked it up to inspect it and a number of inverts came pouring off of it! I captured one of them and found it to be a nudibranch. I think one of the nudibranchs swam off.:-[ And also i think i found eggs in a circular pattern on the polyps:confused:
    What should i do? Should i remove these zoa colonies before they spread?
    HELP

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Pics,Pics,Pics,Pics,Pics.....

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I looked up zoa eating nudibranchs just yesterday and for the life of me can't remember it all. I do remember suggestions for using peppermint shrimp to help control the nudis. I think they suggested a dip in Lugol's solution also.

5. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

cool but should i remove the zoa chunks from my tank??? the eggs really scare ,me and i dont have pics of them. I only have a megapixel camera so its out of the question. They are nudibranchs and i found eggs on my zoa polyps

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Look up zoa eating nudibranchs. According to what if remember you will need to dip twice, once now and once in a week to kill the hatched eggs.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Peppermint shrimp won't do anything to these guys. They take the palytoxin from the zoanthids and incorporate it in their body so only some animals can eat them without dieing.

A zoanthid dip works, a flatworm exit dip works, a malachite green dip works, a prazi pro dip works, dips from many various companies that sell coral dip works. Nothing will kill the eggs so once you start seeing some polyps close up again, that means they hatched. All you have to do is do another dip.

1 person likes this.