Zoas/Palys and Sps

Discussion in 'Coral' started by tatted4ever, Nov 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Anyone have experience with zoas or palys growing near sps. My concern is that my zoas or some of my palys might spread to the point where they are in sps territory and cause a chemical warfare... Im not concerned for the zoas/palys but sps. Can they coexist with each other if zoas/palys spread to the point where they touch my sps????

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have some zoas that are 1/2" away from an sps. I'll find out soon enough. I'm guessing the SPS will win. I have some zoas touching an lps tooth coral with no signs of hostility in either direction.

4. tatted4ever

really??? im guessing that zoas and palys would win.... i wont care then if sps win. But im not sure

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have a sps porites rock that had palys on it when I bought it. (Actually bought it for the palys and the porites were a freebie hitchhiker). Tho porites took over and spread. The palys are no more. The palys seemed to be receding on their own anyway but I never saw any damage to the porites by the palys.

I can't believe how fast google is. I searched for zoas touching sps and this thread came up as the first link already.

6. tatted4ever

bump for day 3reefers

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

tatted4ever

no personal experience of this , but your post tempted me to google
    and I have found on another site, accounts of SPS corals being wiped out by a Zoanthid colony - the poster was responding to the same question as yours on the other forum
    and he posted images of damage done
    Ill PM you the link

Steve

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I think it may have to do with the exact species of SPS you're talking about, some have stronger stings than others I know. I do see lots of tanks with both of them in, however.

I personally am planning on keeping my zoas on separate rocks in my new tank so they will have to grow over sand in order to get to my rocks with my SPS/LPS on them.

1 person likes this.
  10. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Just kalk or frag them if they get any ideas. When they're touching "it's not the size of the [coral] in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the [coral]."

As far as chemical warfare... If I remember correctly zoas/paly/coralimorphs are actually more closely related to SPS (both are hexacorallia) than octocoral and would, unless they are touching, not cause enough long-range allelopathic damage to hard corals to shake a stick at. It also depends on the total ratio of aggressive toxins to defensive toxins (i.e an ORA re planet frag in a 120gal shroom tank might not fair so well, but a more aggressive hard coral might.)*

*not 100% sure on all that

http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/pdf/daly et al Zootaxa.pdf

1 person likes this.
  11. tatted4ever

bump....

somebody here at 3reef has to have first hand experience...

12. tatted4ever