Zoas not liking my lighting?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by JayTropical, Jun 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

since i got my new XM 15k bulb over an old Hamilton 14k bulb it seems my zoas no longer open properly... its a 250w 15k bulb over a 37 gallon tank (30x12x24)the fixture is suspended approx 8 inchs above the water surface. my sps lps and anemone are just fine.

right now the zoas are in the bottom front corner of the tank furthest possible from the light, one of the center polyps died and the rest are three quarters of the way opened, this all has happened since the bulb change, no other changes have taken place parameters are better than ever. at night i shined a little led flashlight on them for awhile and they opened up nicely to bask in it.

any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You need to acclimate them to the light. Put them in a shaded area and see how they react.

4. JayTropical

ok ill give that a try, there is just not much shade that their rock can fit under.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yup, too much additional light, too fast. Slow acclimation to those bulbs and you should be fine.

6. JayTropical

i placed the rock under some shade and they seem to be doing better. guess that is their home for now.