Zoas need spreading.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Chaos66, Nov 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

So I have two small colonies of Zoas in my tank, they've been in there for about 3 or 4 months. Am I being to eager for them to spread out? How can I help them spread and how long does it normally take?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It depends on the polyp and the tank. Are they in moderate to high flow? What is the light level where they are at?

4. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

I would say strictly a moderate flow, not high. I have a nano 28gal. and they are closer to the bottom. let me get a pic up. one min.

5. Chaos66

Chaos66 Plankton

Eh couldn't upload from work. Bout to leave the office so I'll do it when I get home. THanks guy.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try putting them right next to each other if you can or if they are not. IME zoanthids grow faster when in competition with another zoanthid or palys.

2 people like this.
  7. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Almost every zoa that has entered my tank took like 6 months to start spreading. Actually every lps/soft coral I have had took 6 months to start spreading. SPS is a different story, it loves my tank :cheesy: I can't complain! Don't lose hope.

Also, the best my tank ever did was over the summer while I was home from college. The tank was undisturbed, except for water changes and top-off. Don't go changing everything, unless it is dying. If it seems alright, wait it out. Its also another story if lots of new growth turns into no new growth.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Great suggestion, I am going to have to try this in my tank.

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

mine took me awhile to get growing well but it would help if you posted your paramaters just to kind or help get an idea. mine seemed to like fresh made salt water and alot of light.

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

mine are all right beside eachother and are all trying to over power eachother, this is just a month after aquiring them

12. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I totally agree, mine did nothing until I made a "zoa garden" now they spread like wild fire.