Zoas HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by tmv8888, Jun 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tmv8888

tmv8888 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i recently purchased some clay zoas, about 60-80 polyps worth. Acclimated them for about 1 hour, and put them in my 24 gallon nano reef. For some reason, they won't open, and haven't opened since i purchased them. I dose the tank with Kent Microvert every two days in order to keep my carnation coral healthy. All my shrooms are doing amazing, as well as the fish and the carnation coral, but for some reason these zoas seem extremly unhealthy. As far as feeding goes, microvert is the only thing i use. other then that, they rely on the light. They are placed at medium height in the tank, directly under the light. Any help would be great!

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

how long have you had them??

4. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Zoas can take some time to open. Under the best conditions they stay open but usually they take some time.

5. ClimberChris

ClimberChris Flamingo Tongue

My Zoas opened within the first hour of me putting them in the tank. I would put them at the bottom of the tank and see if they open there, if so, slowly move them up and see what happens. I placed my blue zoas at medium depth and they weren't opened as much as the ones on the bottom so I took them down to the lower level and they seem to do better there, but my greens love both low and medium depths.

6. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Just wait and don't disturb them they will open.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Zoas are very hardy, I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure there is not detritus on them and I would lowe them as previously mentioned.

8. Click Here!

9. tmv8888

No detritus, no noticible physical issues. They just seem really tiny, and none of the 50 or 60 have opened yet. did a water change today, here are my params. PH, 7.5 ish, nitrates, none. everything else that isn't supposed to be there, none... lol. Salinity is about 1.024 or 1.025. my anemone also isn't doing to well. And i know there is some relation to anemonies and zoas. Everything else in the tank (shrooms, shrimp, hermits, carnation, fish) are doing fine.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

That PH is really low, what are your magnesium, alkalinity and calcium? Do you keep a top on the tank? Do you have a sump? What kind of lights do you have?

11. tmv8888

no sump, no refuge, lights are built in to the nano cube itself, they are 50/50's i believe. yes there is a top on the tank. mag and calc, not sure. i'm new to the whole reef thing. I've kept FOWLR's all my life.

12. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

See if youcan get your ph up to 8.2, might help a little!