Zoas ...for dummies?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Sharkbate, May 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

The first corals I tried were a small frag of zoas. I placed them too high ....they burned, they got leggy and adios. Now Im coral savy to some degree ....all happy and growing rapidly. I bought zoas 2 months ago ...-placed them at the bottom of the tank, moderate light, moderate to low flow. Theyre still vibrant but again, theyre stretching and getting leggy ...and not reproducing. What train did I miss with these??

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

well, if they are stretching, it means they arent gettting enough light,

How many times have you moved them? have you fragged them? what type of zoa are they?

I would try and moving them around once a week to see if they darken up or anything

Heres a pic of all my zoas :D
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

zoas aren't hard they don't do well in to little light and too much light. I think the first batch you shocked with too much light and this one may need more light.

In my experience they stretch out alot in low light

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I had to move mine around a lot until I found a place they were happy. I actually found my zoas to be "pickier" than some of my harder corals.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sharkbate

I thought the same ....i had them high, I had them low, and everywhere inbetween. Even when they were high, they stretched, but they were burning. I didnt frag them ....I bought them already fragged on a peice of lr

7. Sharkbate

Im jealous Craftkid ....thats the look Im going for. Thanks to all of you for your input K++. I moved them around once a week for the first few weeks but they still burned and got leggy. Now theyre vibrant again ...just stretching more. Ill place them around here and there and see what happens. My tank offers alot of levels, flow rates and light moderations. Craftkid ....your zoas seem to be thriving in several light conditions.

8. Click Here!

9. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

Yeah they are...i have them in high, low, middle ofthe tank...i have some high lights so they are happy everywhere lol...

IT just takes patiance..

1 person likes this.
  10. Sharkbate

Im inspired. If I can care for what I have, Im sure I can do zoas. Ill practive diligently ,,,,hoperfully it will pay off. Kudos to all who helped out with my questions!!

11. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

12. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Zoas generally will also be much more dense in higher flow areas. I'm not talking SPS flow but more than just barely moving for sure. Just my .02