Zoa's and a calcium question

Discussion in 'Coral' started by dinkanber, Jan 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

Got my first colony of green zoas and according to my LFS guy that sold them to me he said they are hard to keep.Is this true because it seems to be one of the more popular corals to have.

He also told me that he adds a powder calcium to his tank every other day .Should i be doing this.He said it helps with everything in my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Zoas are super easy and they require iodine not calcium. Mushrooms and zoas use iodine more than any trace element. With regular water changes, with good salt, you should not need to dose anything. And remember never dose for anything you are not testing for.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 110%

Polyps, mushrooms, leathers, etc are not affected by cal levels as they do not use it to build a skeleton.

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

speaking of Zoas, what are those in your avatar tatoo? they are gorgeous

6. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

I think they are blue hornets

7. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It sounds to me like he is making very broad generalizations that have little merit and can be very dangerous. I would use caution when following any advice and always double/triple check the facts.

8. Click Here!

9. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

They are suppose to be black hornets but they aren't mine:(. I don't know if they have been photoshopped or not. I would love some though.;D