Zoanthus facts

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by bouraganes, Sep 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I was wondering if I was the only one who read about how toxic our pretty little zoos are? Here is a lillte info I picked up on Blane Perun's site:

Zoanthus and Palythoa both contain very toxic chemicals, that are dangerous to both reef inhabitants and humans. The most well know is Palytoxin which has been documented as one of the most poisonous marine toxins know (Mereish et al, 1991). Palytoxin can affect the heart, muscles, and nerves leaving it’’s victim in paralysis and possibly death. Because of the toxin you should never handle

Zoanthus or Palythoa with open wounds, nor should you touch your mouth or eyes after handling the species. When propagating either of the species this is critical to remember, just the slightest rub of an itchy eye or even a small cut from a hang nail might be enough to land you in the hospital.

By all means don't let the toxin this coral produces intimidate you. I have worked with thousands and thousands of Zoanthids since the mid 90's have had only one incident causing some numbing and nausea.
    these are only a few lines from a really nice series of articles you will find at
    Blane Perun's Zoanthids, Button Polyps info. on Aquaculture and Propagation
    Blane Perun's sites are FULL OF GOOD INFO, nice pics and PLENTY of interesting and helpful facts!
    Enjoy-

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

the beauty of having some vinyl or latex gloves hanging around the house....

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I'm pretty sure everyone on 3reef already are aware of the effects of those toxins. But because they are so dangerous, it never hurts to continually remind people and make every single person in this hobby aware of palytoxins and their affects to the human body. As long as you dont touch them or bother them, everything will be fine and dandy.

There are other toxins carried on by fish that I think should also be brung into the light. The deadly blue ringed octo or foxface tang, squirrel eye fish species, etc. I'm more afraid of someone landing in the hospital after handling a blue ring octo. Reefers encourage people to stay away from that species of octopus.

Check this recent article from BBC news. -> BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Thais warned over deadly pet octopus

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I was reminding myself last night as I made up 25 frag plugs of zoos for a frag meet this week end. I thought abut getting my safety goggles but the thought soon passed :)

J

6. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i'd think if you came in contact with a blue-ring, you probably wouldn't make it to a hospital since there is no antivenin available...

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Speaking of getting stung.

I normally get hit with all sorts of who knows what by moving corals around, packing rock, etc. I usually just get a painful callous, then a blister and then I am fine maybe a week later.

Last night I went to clean the intake of a powerhead and grabbed the strainer. I didn't notice until too late that a very large bristle worm was hanging out on it. I touched it and the thing left me packed with bristles densely packed halfway around my index finger. I started feeling the effects in a few minutes.

Today my index finger is swollen to twice it's size. It's swollen so bad it can't be bent. It's excrutiating pain just from touch and the worst part is it's itchy as hell. It's almost like losing the circulation in a limb, but at the same time it's incredibly painful.

Ugh. Can't wait till this finally goes away. How am I supposed to shove this sausage finger up my nostril now? ;)

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Berkely University is currently studying O.s. (peacock mantis) because they are the only known animal that can eat Blue Rings without being killed by the TTX toxin.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: You've got other fingers don't you? :)

I'm rather surprised that you don't wear gloves more often JP when you consider the amount of times that you've been zapped by critters!

12. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Nah I can't use other fingers. That would be awkward. Would be like someone else picking my nose. ;)

With as often as I have my hands in the tank I'd waste a few years of my life putting on and taking off gloves. I'll just roll with the punches for now. Maybe when I get as old and frail as you one day I'll need to better protect myself. ;)