Zoanthids closed

Discussion in 'Coral' started by KDtrey5, Aug 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

So I caught my large hermit crab crawling all over my zoanthid colony today. Is it normal for them to be closed or half opened for a couple of days? Also is it too much to add a bangaii cardinal and frogspawn at the same time? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

How big is your tank?

My Zoas will close for about a day if anything seriously upsets them, they are pretty hardy.

4. SourGummy

SourGummy Astrea Snail

my hermit always walk over my zoa, they usually open back up within a couple mins after the hermit left, guess they are used to it.

5. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

How long have you had the zoas. If their new it could be a lighting or flow issue. As far as adding more it depends on when you last added fish to your system. You can add as many corals in at a time as you want the only thing corals do is use up calcium and alkalinity, but when you add fish you should wait 2 weeks to a month in between adding fish to give your bacteria some time to catch up to the bio-load. Hope this helps ya a little bit.

6. Brendan Z

Brendan Z Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Keep an eye out for Zoanthid eating nudibranch's. I bought some zoa frags and after a couple of days in my system they closed up and wouldn't open. I thought they were just unhappy with their location, so I moved them around the tank to different locations, nothing helped, finally I found one of these little guys crawling around. I spent weeks trying to manually remove all these little pests but once I made some progress the Zoa's did open back up. I hope that this isn't your problem but just wanted to give you a heads up about it.

Attached Files: