Zoanthid taking over?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Skylark, Jul 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Skylark

Skylark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I need some advise please, I have a really nice rock with some mushrooms on it and what started out as a small patch of some brown zoanthids has turned into a much larger patch. Should I be concerned that one day these will 'take over'. The coral hermit seems to be having a hard time now as well (he came with the rock). I have two picture, one with the polyps extended and the other with them retracted to help with any type of identification. Right now they are away from the main rocks just in case.

Any info would much appreciated and if necessary a proper way to be rid of them without hurting the mushrooms. I'll worry about the clavularia the green star polys another day

thanks again everyone

mystery zoanthid cr.jpg

mystery zoanthid retracted cr.jpg .

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

it looks like a goniopora actually. it looks stony under there

4. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Is there some way you could split the rock..?? Then both will be happy..
    I have the same problem with 2 corals on the same rock, getting BIG ..
    But I can take the rock out and break it and save both..

Good Luck, Larry

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

That goni is on it's way out.

6. Bunner

if you can move it from any strong flow. The first picture doesnt look so bad to me...

7. Skylark

Goniopora, never would have thought of that, neat little hitch hiker then. Funny how you can go from thinking possible pest to how do you nurture it.

In terms of splitting the rock it really isn't possible, & for such a small piece it came with a couple of coral hermits, some barnacles, a few small brittle stars that are still into the filter feeding stage and one spagetti worm plus the mushrooms that I originally bought it for.

I guess then I just need to leave it be, if goniopora then it can only survive in certain areas of the tank and as such wont grow into those areas without a stronger current? They are on the side with the full current now and the mushrooms are on the leeward side of the rock where they look happy.

Should I consider moving the whole rock up higher? I only have T5H0 Light (4x 54w) and this is at the bottom of my 90 gallon.

Thanks again for the info everyone

8. Click Here!

9. Bunner

they will get bigger in lower flow. they like less flow. higher will help it for sure be healthier in general. but if you really dont want it frag the mushrooms and then sell the goni.

10. Skylark

Oops, I just read the posts (I type slow and a few crept in there ahead of me). Thanks for the info. Low water flow a must, small chance of surviving. I guess I need not worry too much. Too bad.

Thanks everyone