zoanthid question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by juliew, Nov 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

I've done some research & read that zoanthids can be moderately aggressive. Any suggestions and/or opinions about having them?

I would like to have 4-5 different colors eventually.

Thanks for your advice!
    julie

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they are great corals. easy and colorful. almost everyone gets some zoas at one time or another. just space your corals and they should be ok.

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

They aren't as aggressive as they are simply fast growing. They can encroach other corals very quickly if healthy. Also, NOTE TO ALL, IF FRAGGING ZOO'S BE CAREFULL AND WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES!!! IT SOUNDS DUMB THEY CAN AND DO CONTAIN PALYTOXIN AND IT CAN KILL!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow! Was I dumb! I have several colors of them, and some sorta fell off, starting to "bloom" in the sand. I used washed, bare hands to place them on another rock. Maybe they just don't like knives?
    Thanks for the heads up! Karma to you!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I use bare hands to move them around too, you just have to be careful not to "pop" one or cut it open or something like that.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I've honestly, fragged hundreds of zoo's w/o gloves or goggles, and I typically have cuts on my hands BUT I have since changed and no longer risk palytoxin- I would hate to have my kids or better half find me sick or dying w/ a zoo and glue in my hand.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i use bare hands to move them and rip them apart if they matted together two rocks.
    just don't eat them or put your hands in your mouth after touching them. i don't think most are very posionous just by being in contact with them or else my tank would crash every time one got sucked into a power head. but there is definitely a risk.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

lol wtf? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't eat anything from my tanks. ;)

11. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks to all for your advice & warnings!

bc219 - I wouldn't eat anything out of my tank either! I don't even like the seafood that's served in restaurants!! ;D

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you never wonder what your tang would taste like, i do all the time. if they served it in restuarants i would try it. i been wondering ever since i saw a episode of "going tribal" set in hawaii and they were spearing huge tangs probably worth a couple hundred dollars in the pet trade, what would a couple hundred dollar fish taste like :drool: