Zoanthid Polyp?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Droopster, Jun 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

This piece of live rock is the most recent addition to my aquarium. I have already identified a couple Aiptasia which I purchased a peppermint shrimp (supposedly) to take care of, but these looked more like coral polyps to me. I went to my LFS and it looked an awful lot like a young green zoa. that was multiplying on one of their rocks. This is the same place i got my LR from.

This will be my first attempt to upload a pic. :-/

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Successful upload, and yes, zoanthid.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say a zoanthid.

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Some call them zoanthids,but looks more like a freebie to me!!

6. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Well thats both good and bad news.
    yahhh, I have free coral, BUT
    Thats gonna cost me some new lighting. :p

Right now all i have is a 24" coralife T5 light system that only has a
    14w 6,700k and, 14w Actinic, I had for some other tank. Do you think that and the original florescent light to the tank will be enough to keep my freebies alive until i can hook up some real reef lighting?
    I do know i can get a 10,000k bulb for that light for like $10, that might help some:confused:

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

what size tank and how deep?

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

whatever it is seems to be doing ok with the lights you have, so i would say you should be good. 10k might be a little better then the 6700, but i wouldnt worry about it if i were you, esp if you plan on getting a different light set up later

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

T5's will support zoas just fine, however those bulbs probably won't due to the low wattage.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

its open right now, so thats a good sign.. just use all the lighting you have on hand for now until you upgrade. also place the LR with zoas on top of rock pile.

12. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Its a 30 gallon tank. 18" high The polyp in the picture is about 8 inches off the substrate, The rock he is on is a 15lb er. about half of my live rock all in one. haha. might have to get some rubble to build and boost him up. Also, originally i thought there were two polyps, but as it turns out there are about 4 others peeking out from nook and crannies unskathed by initial toothbrushing from when i got the rock.
    Oh, and I wanna thank you guys all on the replys and info. This is a really great forum. I didn't expect to get answers so fast.