Zoanthid peeps what is the issue?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Corailline, Mar 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Today: I have a lot of Collinista some Stomatella and a lot of Limpets. No crabs, no hermits.

[​IMG]

Last week.
    [​IMG]

Other zoanthids not affected:
    [​IMG]

I am beginning to think disease, even though I have added nothing for over 3 months.

Parameters: Ca 400, Alk 8.6, Sg 1.026, Mag 1450.
    Only other change is the lighting.

:-/

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

In my old 85 we had a variety of colored zoas. Levels were all good & one day all the same colors closed up & eventually died off. Even though they were mixed throughout other colors, just one color died. I never figured out what happened. Sorry but it's not really any help. Good luck.

4. Corailline

Just when I think I am on cruse control!

The other zoanthids affected are purple and blue.

I do not know if I like the coral I loose more because they failed or because I always really wanted that type, but I always wanted blue zoanthids dang it.

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I here ya, I bought a zoa variety pack & they'll be here tues along with some other corals. I'm also gettin my led light in wed, so I'm hopin on some luck everything will fall in place. But light won't get installed til wknd after new hood is done. So they'll have about 5 days to acclimate until I install light. I'm wondering if each type of zoas have diff needs with flow & light or if zoas from diff regions don't get along. I haven't read much about them, I should do that. Ha

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't know what to tell you Cheryl as I have experienced the same thing with certain zoas dieing off and others doing just fine.

Their color is changing so it might be a light acclimation issue.

7. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

This is also occurring in my tank as we speak. I noticed that eventually the only heads that would open were grown around to the bottom of the plug. I started moving my melters into the shade today. Hopefully it helps

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Sorry to hear that.

I have only had melters shortly after I receive them or if something is obviously wrong with the colony. I have never had them just start doing this for no obvious reason. One day fine, next damaged. Uggggggg.

Let me know if moving yours to a shaded area helps.

10. Moxtrain

What are the chances that this is zoanthid pox? Final stages sound familiar as I lose zoas

11. Corailline

Well Moxtrain, I see no pox.

In that past when I had pox you could see the little white pimples characteristic of pox. In fact treating pox with Furan works pretty well. It's the unknown that bugs the hell out of me.

To dip or not to dip is the question.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Moxtrain

I'm exactly there as well. Anecdotal evidence says dip and pray. I've been on the cusp of pulling out the iodine for a week. I just hate putting things through that if I don't have to. I think that if this colony shrinks to around 5 heads or so I'm going to start dipping.