Zoa vs Paly

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ingtar_shinowa, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

So I know that palythoas are more popular because the higher price, but why is this? Is it due to the size, growth rate, hype? I can't figure it out.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great question. Might also be because they are harder to collect?

4. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

I always thought zoa's were more popular, especially the rare color morphs. Not sure that paly's are more expensive either. From what I've seen, some zoa's are ridiculously expensive. Purple Hornet's come to mind, which at one point were going for $100-$150 for PER polyp!

I think now you can find them for around $50/polyp if you're lucky.

Some of the more popular paly's I've seen are Purple Death's and Nuclear Green's which are pricey but still reasonable in comparison.

Which paly's in particular are you referring to?

5. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

i would say palys have better growth because you can feed them IMO

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

there are a lot of really pricey palys. The cooler morphs of zoas to me like eagle eyes, fire and ice, tubbs blues, and the like are alot cheaper on average than palys like ppe rrppe lunars, and the designer palys match up very well with hornets. Im just wondering if there are any serious polyp keepers that can give me a reason. Like take a lunar eclipse and a fire and ice, similar dark center red/orange skirt, why are LE's 20-50 a polyp and FaI 10-20 a polyp (estimated price ranges i am in fact aware that fellow reefers and diferent providers sell things and far different values but i believe this to be a good 'going rate'

7. fantasyaquatica

fantasyaquatica 3reef Sponsor

just gotta give it time. just like anyting new it starts out how. then lots of people start getting them them the market is flooded with them and the price will start dropping..