Zoa vs Chocolate Chip

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by JetEngineMech, May 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

Up until recently, my chocolate chip star has been leaving the zoa alone. But that was back when I was still overfeeding...;D Last week, he went and ate half of it and I was hoping that would be all. But last night, he finished it off. Besides getting rid of Chip, is there anything else I can do? I really like zoas! Would feeding Chip directly rather than letting him forage so much help?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nope, you can't change the nature of the beast. You can either keep it or the zoas but you can't keep both :(

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

2nd that
    chocolate chip stars are not reef safe.

5. JetEngineMech

Well that's a drag. I like my starfish but I won't be tooo disappointed when he's gone...

6. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

yeah, i would prefer the zoas over chip as well... to me, starfish (or seastars, since some people get offended by calling them starfish) are just too.... plain.. they look nice, but it just seems like if you've seen one, you've seen them all...

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Zoos' all the way! Chocolate chip Stars are omnivores, and will consume anything they can catch!

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Thats too bad. I love sea stars / starfish...hah too. But the problem is, the ones that are hardy and tend to live...usually are not the most reef friendly.

10. JetEngineMech

Yeah, I've learned a lot from my star. All the knowledge I had prior were of ones found dead on the shore. I had no idea how flexible they are or that they wrapped their stomach around their food, or even what they ate. My kids have learned quite a bit, too. It's especially neat to watch them right themselves when they are upside down. Like I said, it's a cool animal. It's just disappointing that it limits what else can go in the tank.

Hmm. My wife likes seahorses, maybe a small second tank?
    ::)

11. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi,

HI,
    Add a sump and put the star in it, you also could have a second fish only tank. Can't have to many.
    Doug