Zoa question.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Los1980, Feb 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

I got a nice frag at a local LFS has like 8 heads. The first day 3 opened now none open. Maybe one or two open here and there. Should i give it more time or trade it back for something else? I have it for 4 days.... the large heads have not opened up at all. Water params are fine, temp is 78 I have it on the ground.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If after they do not open for 5 or more days, I would try different placement, check for the usual suspects ie: nudibranchs, sundial snails, asternia starfish and make sure detritus is not building up. If none of the above pans out I would consider dipping them.

:)

4. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

+1 I agree, Also alot of zoas will not open within the first few days. what kind of lighting do you have?

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I was just commenting a few minutes ago how everyone seems to have this problem but me! Every time I put zoas in my tank, they open right up. Just added a new frag today & it was open 10 minutes later. Kinda strange.

6. Los1980

Thanks! I have reef capable marineland LED's. I will check what you stated and if it does not open by monday or tuesday i'll move them. I counted 20 heads and only 4 are open. where do you recommend i place them?

7. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Start low, and slowly work them up if they do end up opening when you put them lower, are the polyps when closed getting a brownish color? also take a turkey baster and blow them off, you have have sand or something irritating them causing them not to open. Hope this helps!

8. Click Here!

9. Los1980

yes the sand thing looks to be the issue! let me clean them off! I love this site everyone is always helpful no matter what time of day it is!