zoa problems

Discussion in 'Coral' started by DSC reef, Dec 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Has anyone had a problem with zoas multiplying rapidly then all of a sudden start shrinking into nothing and melting away? I've had this problem with a few different zoa colonies. My bam bams for one will multiply to the point of almost watching them grow then in a few days flat half are closed up and melt away. I have about 10 different colonies growing together but only some have this problem. Could they be cancelling eachother out with chemical warfare? Its getting frustrating to say the least. All my params are good and now with a chiller the tank much more stable. Nothings eating them from what I've seen because they tend to close up for a couple days before they shrink and melt. Its always my prettiest zoas. GRRRRRRRR:angry:

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Yes I have had this happen to me with GSP, Yellow Polyps, Brown Buttons, and everything. Part of me feels as if my phosphates might be high, or maybe my magnesium is off. I dont have a test kit that I like, I'm using the Hagen Saltwater and Freshwater Kit(over $100 retail) But it's still kind of annoying matching color strips to test tubes and guesstimating what shade I am seeing

Needless to say, this is very frustrating -- but as my LFS owner tells me, that's life!!!! Saltwater tanks are funky like that sometimes

4. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

Did you make any recent additions prior to this, or did something move closer? Chemical warfare could be an issue. When I moved my new zoas in my palys really suffered but only the ones on the side facing the zoas. The prettiest frag spewed palytoxin like a faucet and my palys went from blue and 3/4in to brown and 1/8in within a day.

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Same thing is happening to me on that big Zoa rock I have. The other day it looked like I had new heads popping out and now the same thing you're describing. Mine also looks like a white fungus is moving in? Only different thing I've been noticing is one of my blue leg hermits is always on the rock lately picking at the Zoas?

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

As long as its a blue leg I know they pick at stuff around the zoas like detritus. Its weird chris. I'll have an outbreak of awedome zoas then some will close and shrink to nothing. I don't get it. I was thinking to much light in my case maybe?