zoa problem, tiny white specks?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by dixiedog, May 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a new colony of "goldshlager" (or something similar) zoas. I fragged eight of them off a friend's rock and put them in my tank a month or so ago. They have been kicking some SERIOUS tail so far, reproducing very fast, making me proud.

But in the last few days some of them started getting moody, not opening, and it's getting worse. Now I notice some minute white specks around the affected individuals.

No other colonies in the tank are affected yet, and these were free, so it's no huge hairy deal, but still.

Any wisdom to share??

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

goldschlager and chase it with sweet tea(sorry it's my fav) had to say it. I am of no help to you otherwise, but I'm sure someone will help. I never could keep a zoa for some reason........:/

I can ask...got a pic of it?

1 person likes this.
  4. dixiedog

SWEET TEA, you say??? I never thought to chase 'Shlager with anything, but that does sound good!

Not that it matters now; I gave that evil stuff up years ago, after one ill fated Christams Eve, out drinking with my brother. We wound up spending the night in my F-150, stuck in the sand, and then driving it several miles IN REVERSE to our parent's house after sobering up and getting unstuck on Christmas morning ... but stripping out all the forward gears while we were at it. Ah, the memories ...

Hey, it's my thread, I'll take it briefly off topic if I want to! ;D

Sorry, no pic of the zoas at this time and definitely none of the tiny specks; I don't have the equipment or the expertise. They are miniscule.

5. cuttingras

uhuh sweet tea and I really didn't mean to jack your thread:)... it just hit me.

someone will come by soon and answer your question. I'm sure of it! There is a list somewhere out there of possible things that effect zoa's. let me see if I can find it.

6. cuttingras

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

could be zoa pox, I have delt with this on one of my colonies.
    check out this link:
    CoralPedia.com! :: The definitive repository for named Corals!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Ha cuttingras beat me to it!

10. cuttingras

LOL I gave ya karma for it too LOL

1 person likes this.
  11. dixiedog

Yeah, I've read about "zoa pox" before; in fact I just re-read that article moments before posting my question here.

Could be the same thing, who knows. I do run carbon, as well as GFO, and I do keep my skimmer doing all it can do (as far as I know) since I have already had close encounters with hair algae, cyano, and - currently - bryopsis.

Perhaps the next couple days will reveal something.