ZOA Poxs

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by antonym518, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a new blue colony of zoas that have developed poxs. Only a small amount are dying, and the rest seem to be unaffected. I have noticed a few others developing them as well. But seem to be unaffected. My water quality is good, just added a ground probe. I run chemipure and added new one unit not to long ago. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

cut them off and throw them away

4. antonym518

I have battled this before. They got better. I just don't know what I did to change it. I would not be able to cut them off. Too many.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

as far as i know there is no cure. And no one knows why it occurs.

Personally, if i wasn't cutting them off, i'd be chucking the colony to protect my others from developing it.

6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I had a similar case, it looked like pox but they kept dying, so i got frustrated and went to cutting, and founded a palechato, or bristle worm inside the rock, and those never again got any better, but the ones that didn't get affected I still have and are doing really good, I just wish I would of done it sooner!

7. antonym518

You chucked them? These the the nicest blues ever. They are not getting any worse. But not better. No more are dying. I have to wait it out. DAMN!!!!!!!!! I did a small water change. Usually I do 7 gals a week. About 12%, did a 5 gal one today, and will do another tomorrow. I'm trippin. I really was excited to find these.

8. Click Here!

9. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

well I hope that works for ya! but if it don't get any better..brace your self,
    I know what you mean they are sweet!

11. antonym518

The colony has been like this for a while over a week. The two colonies right next to them are fine now signs of it. Then some across the tank have it. It something in the water I think. I don't know. if anymore on the colony die I am going to move them to my bc8 where there are no zoas, just an anemone and a clown.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Zoa Pox seem to be seasonal as many people have been discovering. Cut away the affected ones, try to cut away good ones around them as well so theres no risk of it being spread further.