Zoa ID

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PghSteeler, Dec 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Picked this up for $5 out of a frag tank. Has 13 polyps not including the one that accidently fell off with placement that is opened up as a single polyp on the sandbed. I have them in a mod flow low light zone so hopefully they do well. Any clue on an ID?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Those are Eagle Eye's :) I have mine in moderate-high lighting, moderate-high flow. Keep them where they are and them move them up if needed.

4. PghSteeler

Hmm Eagle eyes. It is so hard to tell because there are so many variants that look so similar but it kind of looks like photos which I search eagle eye zoa. Thanks for the help, I plan on letting them grow and cover that hole cave like area and maybe adding other colors to the colony as I come across interesting morphs.

If the colony grows large enough will it overtake and kill other colors like xenia or jasmine polyp? Im assuming it could kill an acro but not sure about softies

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1 Eagle Eyes- mine grew like weeds (good weeds)

Zoas don't have any stinging cells that I know of. They typically use toxins for their warfare, though I have never seen signs of them attacking any of my other corals. Just be careful with handling zoas and palys and wear gloves.

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

+1 eagles
    My fasted growing zoa. They will grow in any part of the tank, hi flow, low-flow, low light high light. They are losing against my monti digi, though, which is fine. The monti just walls them off....

7. PghSteeler

Good to know, thanks everyone for the ID and information!