Zoa help!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by keliza, Apr 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keliza

keliza Astrea Snail

I bought a rainbow zoa colony about 2 months ago, it was in great shape when I bought it, had several different colors and all polyps were open and happy. Slowly its lost polyps, they just close up and eventually disappear. I don't understand why tho, they're near the top of the tank in direct flow and the water params are all fine, phosphate is a little high but I've read on several different sites that zoas like dirty water and higher phosphate levels... I supplement weekly with reefroids and trace elements during water changes. What is happening and what can I do to fix it??

Params: calcium 420, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, salinity .025, phosphate 1, pH 8.0

I run 4 VHO T5s, 2 blue and 2 white.

There are currently a herald's angel, a yellow tang, 2 percula clowns, a diamond goby and a 6 line wrasse, a cleaner shrimp and several hermits and snails. One collector urchin that occasionally destroys things and knocks corals over but it hasn't bothered the zoas lately.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I would try moving it to a different spot, preferably a little lower, and a little less flow. Watch it, and see if it begins to look any better

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Angel might be nipping them, or it could be light shock. Zoas dont need a huge amount of light so generally you want to start off corals low in the tank and them slowly move them up to their eventual home.

5. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

agreed i would try to lower it also.

6. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Lower light and lower flow are good suggestions, also PO4 is a bit high, could try running some media to drop that down. Typically any PO4 above 1 will labor any form of coral growth, so all of those factors together may be rubbing your zoas the wrong way.

7. saltyfresh

if you have a po4 problem i suggest running bio pellets best things ever.

8. Click Here!

9. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Look at them at night with a flashlight to make sure there are no snails, bugs or other nasty things eating them. My zoas were slowly closing up and it was to late to save them by the time I noticed tiny snails munching on them.

10. saltyfresh

coral dip rx do it to every thing you put it it will be that extra security to say you did all you could to prevent it, not man i should have..