Zoa growth question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Moby Duck, Jun 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

I bought a zoa from saltcritters and it is fully opened in my tank. My question is how fast will it grow? I want it to spread all over the rock but it came on a plug, does that matter?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339799349.004507.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Most zoanthids seems to be fairly slow growers. I have a plug of zoas I got in January. They have more polyps, but have not grown off the plug yet.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Bought a frag a couple months ago. It's doubled the amount of polyps, but it hadn't sprawled outwards much. It's slowly working its way off the frag and onto my rock. Should happen in the coming weeks.

5. Moby Duck

So it will move itself off the plug? I don't need I mess with it? Will the polyps grow in size? Or will they stay tiny

I know this is kinda off thread but I bought a mushroom also do I take tht off the plug?

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

zoa growth is hit or miss. in my experience they grow in spurts. An explosion of new polyps and then months of nothing.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

All corals will eventually grow off the plug and onto the rock (some are just faster than others). SPS and LPS corals can be cut/unglued from the plug (preferably glued/held in place on it's new location) because they have a hard skeleton and can handle it with no problem. I would leave the zoanthids and other soft corals on the frag plug/disk they came on. The soft tissue is harder to remove without damaging the coral.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've found most zoas grow extremely fast, but it depends on the tank I think. A lot of people treat them like soft corals and think they need a lot of nutrients. My experience is they do better in really really low nutrients tanks and grow like weeds. However, others report slow growth and some may depend on the particular zoanthids. Seems the nicer they are, the slower they grow LOL.

10. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

my zoas grow really fast tripled in size in less than 3 months

11. Moby Duck

Really? I hope they grow like weeds in my tank. I want them to grow over my rocks, they just look amazing and if they do good I can't wait to get more

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I've had mine for about 3 months and the only thing I've noticed is more polyps, but none growing outward.