Zoa frag

Discussion in 'Frags' started by jhawkor, Jun 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

So I got my first zoa frag today and was wondering how long does it take for them to multiply? The frag I bought has about 20-25 polyps on a round frag plug and well I want that frag plug covered up. Will the zoas eventually spread onto the rock the plug is on?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

They can do, if all the conditions are right for them ( and they are not that demanding really) they will cover that plug and the rock, and any rocks that touch that rock

Steve

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I think It's happening now in my tank if I'm not mistaken... I have so many zoanthids that I can't really keep a count on em' but I think I see just a few popping up from places that I have never seen them before.
    However I still don't know exactly how long it would take for them to multiply.
    I guess the times vary according to water quality/flow etc.

5. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

I have heard of them covering as much as a square foot in a year.

6. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

FWIW, I bought one of my first Zoa frags in mid 2006. It was about 5 or 6 polyps, not much really. They have easily grown to about 300-350 polyps. I've given a bunch away, sold some, killed some, traded some, etc. and I still have about 75 left.

Also, I picked up my avatar give or take about 2 months ago and has grown about 4 polyps since then.

Some grow faster than others in different conditions, but some can grow quickly!