Zoa eating asterina

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by country1911, Aug 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

I was so excited to see a tiny starfish on my tanks glass 6 months ago. Now my Zoa population has been dwindling and I saw a small star latched onto a polyp. The next day the polyp didn't open, then disappeared completely.

What do I do with these stars? I have started putting them in the fuge when I see them and so far I have put 3 in there. I think the most I have ever seen of them in the tank is 5. What are the chances they make their way back into the DT? If I see 5 does it mean there are dozens or hundreds?

I only have 2 small Zoa colonies and they have been reduced by half in about 3 months since I started noticing them declining. Am I at least on the right track now?

Sent from my Evo

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I have hundreds in my tank, and they are totally harmless. Some types of asterinas eat coral, but most eat algae. I would look for something else with the zoas, like nudibranches or something. It is possible, though, that your asterinas are munching on zoas.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Some can and will eat zoas.

You can manually remove, but many use harlequin shrimp to eradicate an infestation of them.

5. country1911

Harlequin shrimp is interesting, are they sustainable long term? Or will they die when they run out of food such as a berghia nudibranch?

6. mikeattack

mikeattack Astrea Snail

I am wondering the same thing.

7. country1911

LA.com says the harlequin eats only starfish and urchins(as adults)... So I may just stick to manual removal for now.

8. Click Here!

9. mikeattack

mikeattack Astrea Snail

Is the shrimp catchable without breaking down a tank?

10. country1911

If they are anything like peppermint shrimp(similar size) then no... Those little devils are quick!

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

They will only eat starfish, so you can either remove them after all the stars are gone, or you can keep them and continue to feed them starfish (many people do just that). Chocolate chip stars are popular Harlequin food in this manner, placed near their vicinity.

12. country1911

How often do they need to be fed after depleting a tank? I see these getting very expensive very quick...

Be cool if they only needed to be fed once a month or so

Sent from my Evo