Zoa closed/partially open for days, why?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by tgood, Jun 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I am not sure what's going on with my Zoa polyps but they have not been fully open for a few days. For the past 4 weeks they have been fully open and looking great so I'm not sure what's going on. My GSP frag is still open and growing. The polyps also have some new smaller polyps starting to grow so I don't think it's dying. I just don't have experience with growing them so I'm not sure what's going on. I've read that sometimes they can morph and remain closed for days at a time. I have seen small neon green spots on some of the polyps so could it be they're morphing?

SG 1.025
    Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate - 0
    Phosphate - 0
    Temp - 79°

6/4 green spot on one
    6/4 green spot on one polyp
    [​IMG]

6/17 Fully Open
    [​IMG]

6/24 10:10AM
    [​IMG]

6/24 10:10AM GSP
    [​IMG]

6/24 2:11PM partially open
    [​IMG]

Today 8:39AM
    [​IMG]

They only thing I changed was moving that small piece of rock from the base of the polyp frag plug over to the base of the GSP frag. I don't think that would alter the flow enough to cause these to remain closed like this all of a sudden. I also started feeding Spirulina Frozen Brine Shrimp once a week (last week was first feeding with it). Suggestions/input is appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Try gently blowing them off with a turkey baster or syringe.;)
    Sometimes detritus and or film algaes can build up around the base of the polyps.
    I wouldn't panic they look healthy.

1 person likes this.
  4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I did pick up the plug and blow them off very well with a baster about 3 or 4 days ago. Do you think maybe me moving them around caused it? Maybe just let them alone? As long as they still look healthy that's all I'm concerned about... it was nice seeing them fully open though because they looked good.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Myself I would dip those puppies.

Are those Zoanthid eating nudibranchs in images # 3, 4 and 5?

2 people like this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Good catch Cheryl. Sure look like nudibranchs to me.:(
    Dipping them will not hurt and I would definitely recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  7. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

What would you recommend dipping them in? I was also wondering about that little "thing" on them, I thought maybe it was just the polyps starting to open because it's small and looks exactly like the outer edge of the polyps when they're open. I guess it could be a nudi though, if it is it was a hitchhiker and only found them now because I haven't added any livestock since these. Should I try to suck it up with a baster and see if it detaches?

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

You can tell its moving from pic to pic. Definitely a nudi. I would dip in coral rx or other pest removing solutions. Look around at other corals to see if they have any on them also.

11. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Good call! I used a baster and sucked that ***** off the polyp and put it in a cup... It's definitely crawling around in there so it was a nudi. They're like chameleons with that camo! Should I be worried about more in the tank now? This one was very small. Or should I just keep an eye on them and watch if more appear?

Thank again, you guys are awesome!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunately you're going to have be diligent with making sure you look for eggs on the zoanthids and remove the eggs with a q-tip. A dip will not affect the eggs. :-(

Hopefully you have intervened early enough to prevent a lot of repetitive manual removal. Dip definitely first defense, you want to watch and manually remove the little buggers and eggs when ever you see them

Good Luck, pretty Zonthids.